Sci-fi TIE Fighter: 2-Tone Screen-test

ContestAdmin

Category: Sci-fi

Name of Build: TIE Fighter: 2-Tone Screen-test

Kit manufacturer: AMT

Scale: 1/48

Description
So backstory: some time ago I came across these reference photos of some screen testing of different colored TIE Fighters. I love variations on a theme so I was naturally inclined to want to build this one. Now's the perfect time. From what I gather, ILM was initially thinking that these really would be the color (the full maroon, that is) but after testing how the craft looked during capturing (and with motion blur) it was overwhelmingly evident that the lighter blue/gray would be a better treatment. Thus arrives the TIE's we know and love. Looking closely at these ILM shots, you can see there is less dark/light gray variation on the maroon side. However, you can make out a panel variation.

I started this build with 30 hours until the contest deadline. This was such a straight-forward build that I felt confident to take it on with such a constraint. Since the studio model does not appear to have glass or heavy panel washes, I was able to skip over those steps. The most time-consuming phases of this build were masking, painting and photographing...which is not surprising. Either way, I had fun challenging myself and got a chance to knock off a wish-list build.

Final Images

2tonetie_1.jpg

2tonetie_2.jpg

2tonetie_3.jpg

2tonetie_4.jpg

2tonetie_5.jpg

2tonetie_composite.jpg

Latest posts

Back