Sci-fi Rebel T-47 Swampspeeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ContestAdmin

Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2013
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
Category: Sci-fi

Name of Build: Rebel T-47 Swampspeeder

Kit manufacturer: Fine Molds & Me

Scale: 1/48

Description
This is an original design of mine inspired by the T-47 variants listed in various SW books. I started out using the Fine Molds’ Snowspeeder kit, which is a really well-made kit out of the box. I built the quad blaster out of various parts and brass tubing. Wires were made from copper wire.

For the front end, I cut out sheet styrene and fashioned a blast plate. In addition, I added a cool geometric shape from 251 halftrack kit (1/35). The front tow-hooks are schürzen hooks from a Panzer IV (1/72).

The floodlight was actually the clear canopy of an F-toys TIE Fighter (leftover from another custom). I had to do a lot of sanding/smoothing, and then I added it to a half-sphere piece and added a styrene rib around the edge).

The winch was created primarily from 2 tank parts that I glued together. Then I wrapped picture wire around and added a tow hook to the end. I also added a hubcap from a Panzer IV (1/72) to the side of the winch for added detail.

The open canopy bars were made from brass rod that I soldered together. This was the first time trying soldering with a model, but it worked quite well. I then added a grenade launcher to the back, which I made out of a MG mount from Panzer IV (1/35).

I also removed a panel from the side, which I had to cut out from the kit and add styrene to wall it off. All the wires around the kit were made from brass rod (apart from the ones on the blaster).

As usual, I started by priming it in Tamiya Grey. I sprayed a darker Vallejo grey around the edges, and painted a dark brown on the open canopy bars. I sprayed AK Interactive Worn Effects to create chipping after the next coat. I sprayed an off-white color from an old Polly Scale bottle, which I then took time to chip away liberally.

I added more Worn Effects and then created a custom blue tone that I sprayed within masked areas around the hull. This I chipped again after it dried. Everything else was hand-painted: dunkelgelb for the wires, primer red for the open panel/air brake interior, dark grey for the cockpit.

The pilots were sprayed with a light yellow, then hand-painted. I used AK Interactive effects to create highlights and shadows to the best of my ability (not much practice painting figures). I added a little blue poster putty to their butts and attached them (so they can be removed if need be).

I then had fun adding various decals, including a “No Step” on the blaster cannon. For the rear gunner, I layered several decals to recreate a game of PONG, as he seemed quite bored in the back.

I also created a custom decal for “M. Guist”, which stands for Mitchell Guist, who was a regular on a show I like called Swamp People. He unexpectedly passed away last year, and I built this Swampspeeder as kind of a dedication to him.

Then came my favorite phase: weathering. I used a combination of AK Interactive products and pigments to create mud and other effects. The slime green streaks and pools were created using AK’s Slimy Grime products (really helpful by the way).

Finally, I mounted it to a slightly modified Action Fleet stand. Fine!

Final Images











 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top