Schutzenpanzerwagen Sd.kfz.250/9

So I have started the weathering and some chipping, early stages yet with some rust streaks and work on the tracks and wheels still to be done but it's getting there. Got the washing to do and a bit more panel lining.
Have decided to build a little base as I got some offcuts of laminated MDF from the site skip while doing inspections earlier today. Bonus, love free stuff.
Pantherman
Now started the base. Used wall filler mixed with vallejo dark yellow primer to get the sandy texture. Sprinkled on kiln dried sand while still wet (borrowed permanently from the driveway layers) then top coat of my own blend of yellows to get it looking almost the right colour. Need to add some grasses and matt varnish it ready for the halftrack and figure.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20221206_190714.jpg
    20221206_190714.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221206_192442.jpg
    20221206_192442.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221207_214931.jpg
    20221207_214931.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221207_215111.jpg
    20221207_215111.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 9
Is this what you are referring to Pantherman???
Sorry Phil, I should have looked closer at your photo. It wasn't the earth texture it was a wash. I have attached a picture.
Pantherman

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221207-220657_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221207-220657_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 4
That's the one. Do you have any experience with this? Is it a case of applying several layers to build up the "dust" effect?
Pantherman
No mate I don't. I have been looking at it and a few others like it. At nearly $20 Aud each they are not cheap. Never had any experience with this one or the wash you have shown.

Phil

Now started the base. Used wall filler mixed with vallejo dark yellow primer to get the sandy texture. Sprinkled on kiln dried sand while still wet (borrowed permanently from the driveway layers) then top coat of my own blend of yellows to get it looking almost the right colour. Need to add some grasses and matt varnish it ready for the halftrack and figure.
Pantherman
Your desert sands look pretty good. A few items of interest to break it down such as the grass as you said and the figure will set it off for sure.
Square or rectangular bases are the most popular with model makers. They are simple to make and can easily be framed with inexpensive picture frames or if you are using styrene sheets for height, the square and true sides are easily covered by thin balsa wood or plastic card and then painted. If I were making a large diorama I would certainly do a square or rectangular base. However, for small vignette's such as you are making, I would do anything other than square. I think in this case such a shape designed to fit the model and figure would look more pleasing to the eye. I stress Pantherman, this is just my personal taste as others will no doubt disagree. Also, have you considered adding a few small items of interest such as a road sign or discarded equipment or even a few rocks to break up the empty spaces? Again, must my opinion.

Phil

Your desert sands look pretty good. A few items of interest to break it down such as the grass as you said and the figure will set it off for sure.
Square or rectangular bases are the most popular with model makers. They are simple to make and can easily be framed with inexpensive picture frames or if you are using styrene sheets for height, the square and true sides are easily covered by thin balsa wood or plastic card and then painted. If I were making a large diorama I would certainly do a square or rectangular base. However, for small vignette's such as you are making, I would do anything other than square. I think in this case such a shape designed to fit the model and figure would look more pleasing to the eye. I stress Pantherman, this is just my personal taste as others will no doubt disagree. Also, have you considered adding a few small items of interest such as a road sign or discarded equipment or even a few rocks to break up the empty spaces? Again, must my opinion.

Phil
Thanks for the input, all suggestions I take on board as help and advice for future builds. Sometimes because the builder is so engrossed with their build and a finish they have created, the most obvious of thing's that would make a better job are just not thought of. It's one of the main reasons I joined this fabulous forum.
One of my first builds which I thought was perfect (admit it, we all do !) was transformed by adding some of Urumomo's suggestions. I will do a before and after pic if you want to see what I mean.
Anyway, I'm starting to ramble so thanks again for your suggestions.
Pantherman

Thanks for the input, all suggestions I take on board as help and advice for future builds. Sometimes because the builder is so engrossed with their build and a finish they have created, the most obvious of thing's that would make a better job are just not thought of. It's one of the main reasons I joined this fabulous forum.
One of my first builds which I thought was perfect (admit it, we all do !) was transformed by adding some of Urumomo's suggestions. I will do a before and after pic if you want to see what I mean.
Anyway, I'm starting to ramble so thanks again for your suggestions.
Pantherman
Thank you Pantherman for that reply. I was really praying you wouldn't get cranky or think I don't like your work. I myself am just learning and I do indeed, base my thoughts as a viewer looking at your completed project. I find it difficult to critique someone's work when I am still a novice, but it is the only way we can learn and as you are no doubt aware, some get their back up when suggestions are offered. We all like people to praise our work, but on the other hand I also prefer constructive suggestions as do most of the guys I am friends with on this forum. Later today I will post pics of that Matilda I did now sitting on a base. It is far from perfect as I will explain, but you will get the idea about shapes for your vignettes.

Phil

Pantherman
So I'm nearly there now. Just got to add some grass and a few rocks (Phil's suggestion, thanks). Just realised I forgot the ariel, so that as well. Final spray of matt varnish. I will take some better photos of the finished build.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20221210_131555.jpg
    20221210_131555.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221210_131633.jpg
    20221210_131633.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221210_131646.jpg
    20221210_131646.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221210_131658.jpg
    20221210_131658.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 9
Layout is great. A small scattering of hardy grass tufts and a few rocks clumped together especially in that left hand corner section will really set it off. Great job mate.

Phil

Layout is great. A small scattering of hardy grass tufts and a few rocks clumped together especially in that left hand corner section will really set it off. Great job mate.

Phil
I will give it a go and let you see the results.
Pantherman

So I'm nearly there now. Just got to add some grass and a few rocks (Phil's suggestion, thanks). Just realised I forgot the ariel, so that as well. Final spray of matt varnish. I will take some better photos of the finished build.
Pantherman
Well I'm done. Thanks for all your suggestions and comments, much appreciated.
Next is my xmas build, a tiger with crew.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20221212_152841.jpg
    20221212_152841.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221212_152910.jpg
    20221212_152910.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221212_152934.jpg
    20221212_152934.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221212_152949.jpg
    20221212_152949.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221212_153024.jpg
    20221212_153024.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221212_153119.jpg
    20221212_153119.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 7
A cracker.....really good. Layout looks good and I am particularly impressed with the scratches and wear and tear. Perfect. Well done mate.

Latest posts

Back