Scalecoat II Wash Away Paint Remover

foenetik

So, I found myself in need of stripping a body i painted. i erroneously used the wrong kind of masking tape and it left the worst residue and also didnt hold a line. In talking to a buddy here, I tried oven cleaner. The heavy duty stuff that makes you choke if you breathe the fumes. The body had duplicote primer, tamiya spray white base coat, and tamiya red accents on top of that. I also pre-sanded the body. Basically it was well prepped.

I left it in the oven cleaner soaked, for a few hours as instructed, and nothing. not even a bubble. So then i reapplied and tried 24 hours. Nothing. I reapplied and left it another 24. A little bit came off on the underside where the paint was over-spray but nothing on top would come off with any easy. I tried scrubbing with nylon brushes and such and would only see minimal results.

I was in my semi local hobby shop and he had this green stuff on the top shelf. It claims 10 mins of soaking will strip it, its reuseable, and wont harm plastic. Well, that sounds amazing and exactly what i need. Got it home, and filled a tupperware with the stuff. Has the normal chemical smell, but it also doesnt say anything about needing gloves. I used them anyhow, my body is a temple and i imagine any chemicals arent good for skin.

10 mins in, i pulled it out and to my surprise, most of the paint is gone, down to primer, and i hit it with the toothbrush to get the paint a little motivated to leave. It did. I then resoaked it for 10 mins more, and scrubbed the primer away. This stuff is amazing and there wasnt so much as a sign of it harming the plastic. Always test a small spot as all plastics arent equal. Then you just wash the part, i used soap to be sure and dry it off.

End Result:

3FEA89C4-324F-42E8-A602-57CDBB223738_zpstx7gxfao.jpg

I also use it on my top studio resin parts i mess up painting. It doenst seem to affect CA as the parts stayed glued but it will wash away putty. At least the tamiya stuff.

In conclusion, if you need a stripper that wont harm plastic and works great this is your stuff. I reused it several times and still works just as good as the first time, its just murky now.

Its Scalecoat II S56. I paid 10.49 for 1 Pint. Well worth it.

EF52E990-6A53-4F6B-BC45-720AC0115800_zps4zioo8zg.jpg

Latest posts

Back