Scale modeling?

carter_maresh

I am doing a project for my class and I was wondering if anybody has anything to say about this growing hobby scale modeling!

Well, this hobby teaches patience, attention to detail and many artistic techniques. You can learn alot about history - both the people and the vehicles, during the research of a subject. It is not passive - meaning you just don't site there and watch it happen, you get your hands dirty. You get to meet alot of great people who like to spend valuable 'spare' time locked away in a small room, alone, gluing plastic.

I received my first kit from my Grandmother for my 4th birthday and was hooked. It was the 1/72 Monogram Goshawk(Of course! What else could it have been?). We struggled through it together and even tried to glue the decals on with Testors tube cement. She had no idea what she was starting. I modeled through a good part of my teens then things died off except for a short stint in my late 20's. I had a 200+ kit stash of 1/72 WWII aircraft up until my late 30's but never seriously built anything so I sold it all. I've only been back to it seriously for a little over a year now after 15 or so years on the sideline. And yes i have a stash again. About 40 kits worth, plenty to keep me busy for a while.

When I was young I think the draw was the tie to history. Those models gave me a tangible tie to the history books that I could hold in my hand. In my later years it has become a form of relaxation and accomplishment. Again something tangible that I can hold in my hand. Many things I do in my life have no physical outcome but modeling always does. Some better than others.

Oh, and let's not forget, it's just plain fun!!! ;D

I hope that helps a bit.

My father got my brother and I our first models, and even sat to try and help us out with them between road trips, some times.

Carter: The only thing I can add is that it teaches you problem solving skills. In order to get a model to look like something from the past, you have to come up with techniques to achieve this. For example: when I started the Godzilla model, I had no idea on how to fix those seams. So I spent a while using my problem solving skills to come up with a solution.

I find this hobby a good means of escapism. You settle down in your wee room, your studio, your basement or your loft! and build your own reality.

Its a great way to relax(When things are going well) and as everyone has said you will learn a lot about many subjects whilst doing it.

For me it helps with stress and illness and other things. Just got into it over the last year and believe me it can save your sanity.And its fun .Guess there are no limits to the benefits

I'd like to add that it's also a nice creative outlet. Especially once I got into kitbashing/scratchbuilding

there is one thing to know about scale modeling, its fun, dont make it too serious, do what ya want with what ya make! 8)

scale modeling is a very diverse form of art, beacuse it combines several skills at once, your crafting skills, and your painting skills, and more. in addition, your knowledge of whatever you may building can help you make a more detailed build and make it more fun for you, you see scale modeing is a good hobby for me, simply beacuse i like the following.

.making my own things my own way, for example the Ace Of Spades P-51D Mustang, and my road ace 1969 corvette are some of my dream ideas.

.fits into my liking of Aviation and Military aircraft.

.fits into my liking of automotive.

.good use of my painting skills.

.love putting things together.

there are so many things you can do! Aviation, Auto, Naval, Sifi, Figurines, Gaming, Dioramas.

this is what makes Scale modeling so AWESOME!

SLW45 said:
For me it helps with stress and illness and other things. Just got into it over the last year and believe me it can save your sanity.And its fun .Guess there are no limits to the benefits

Lol, yeah, you guys have hit the nail on the head with these comments but, it can also put your sanity on the edge at times ;)

Latest posts

Back