Satyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Build

Amazing work to say the least! Thank you for posting the paint test, I've been looking for a color just like that for my TFA falcon build.

Ozzman78 said:
Amazing work to say the least! Thank you for posting the paint test, I've been looking for a color just like that for my TFA falcon build.

Thanks Ozz! Glad I'm able to help out and contribute! Lemme know how yours turns out!

And so the painting begins! I started with a good preshading of the lower hull. I went a little heavy because I will be covering it with the base color coat afterward.

12923379_10154832607562627_7544576622119806814_n.jpg

1921986_10154832607657627_4566640345562396546_n.jpg

12924373_10154832607417627_7118601500783060532_n.jpg

I gotta say... I really am loving my spray booth... works better then I expected it too! After the preshading I covered it with a good light coating of my base color. This serves two purposes... one the base coat since its a lacquer, will be easy to fix errors on, and two it acts as a great light barrier for the lights inside! Here's the result using the Krylon Ivory paint/primer that I used from a rattle can. The results are better than I expected!

12932658_10154832888822627_7431109045345276408_n.jpg

12961536_10154832888657627_8957079640986419027_n.jpg

The preshading is subtle but really makes the details pop! Whatcha all think?

Oooooooo... almost got ahead of myself here. Before I settled on this color, I sprayed the top turret to see how the colors would look. I also did some light weathering to see if the color holds up under weathering. Here's the result (before I painted the hull).

12928242_10154830186517627_636337466087122825_n.jpg

Looks sweet! 8)

I say you have developed a very effective painting technique here. Nothing like a shortage to force you to develop an alternate solution. ;)

Hagoth said:
Looks sweet! 8)

I say you have developed a very effective painting technique here. Nothing like a shortage to force you to develop an alternate solution. ;)

Thanks bro... They say necessity is the mother of invention... I've lived that my whole life bro. It's amazing how little is actually needed when you put your mind to it. Like the spray booth or finding an alternate paint. Everyone is going nuts trying to find Tamiya Insignia White... why? Because Dymszo mentioned it in a video... and what do you know, all the sudden DeAgostini is releasing a set of paints that lo and behold are all Tamiya paints. Coincidence? They created a demand for something that they could charge anything they asked for and people would buy it. Just because the Insignia White was mentioned in a video. Everyone seems to have forgotten about how to think outside the box anymore and want everything handed to them on a silver plate... has made us all lazy. I admit I would rather be lazy then work it out for myself. But when you haven't the means, you have to get creative and figure it out for yourself. You'd be amazed what you can achieve if you just look at it differently. That's what I love about these forums. You see the same problem being tackled in 50 different ways by 50 different people. It's inspiring and really makes this hobby fun. Makes you think outside the box and makes you figure out how to do things totally differently. My weathering has begun and shortly, I'll be posting more pics with all kinds of tips and tricks on how to do things without have to break the bank. Hope I've done at least a small part to help everyone out.

My build has been stalled lately due to waiting on the stock of paint at DOA. Finally they arrived (after a 3 month wait). But I've kept busy regardless to maintain my sanity. I just finished a couple of new 3D models for this baby...

A new Fully Articulated OT Stormtrooper with E-11 Blaster
http://www.shapeways.com/product/BQ86J9AE9/1-43-stormtrooper-ot-with-blaster-for-deago-falc?optionId=60087117

A new ESB Port Side Wall replacement
http://www.shapeways.com/product/6VCRMQF7X/esb-port-side-wall-for-deago-falcon-1-of-2?optionId=60005343

A new ANH Port Side Wall replacement
http://www.shapeways.com/product/FSAP2FBUB/anh-port-wall-for-deago-falcon-1-of-2?optionId=60029415

and an update to my Front Wall Support Column Insert.
http://www.shapeways.com/product/ZRSQGQNN5/front-wall-insert-v2-for-deago-falcon?optionId=60031517

Now that I finally got my DOA paints I hope to finally be able to do some painting soon! Wish me luck!

Well I've been trucking along making more parts for printing. Here's my latest offerings:

Here's my front Wall Replacement with Frames

625x465_14806410_8898053_1466620126.png

Here's my ANH version of the Port Wall:

625x465_14561038_8815545_1464882958.png

and here's my ESB version of the Port Wall:

625x465_14531135_8801941_1464717320.png

I've got a TFA version almost done and am about to work on the Starboard Wall as well. If I keep this up I might end up recreating the entire interior! LOL

Am really stoked. I got my ESB Port Wall from SW the other day and finally got around to painting it last night. I tell you what... this thing looks AWESOME! And I haven't even put the light or the tubes/wires/cubby hole in it yet. Take a look for yourself!

painte10.jpg
instal10.jpg
instal11.jpg

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Well I got my latest shipment of Shapeways parts in the mail yesterday and am pretty pleased with the results! The Starboard wall although has some nasty print lines in it (hoping to get it reprinted for free) fits the slotted holes on the floor perfectly. Also the greeblies that glue into the recesses of the wall fit perfectly as well. I had it printed in White ABS plastic Here's how everything looks on it.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]20160711.jpg[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]20160710.jpg[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Now, also got my front wall printed and ran into a slight problem. Althou the tabs fit into the holes perfectly, the detached tube on the back is off and doesn't quite fit for some reason. May have to repair that and reupload a new version onto shapeways. I had it printed in Black ABS plastic and it doesn't look too bad! I shorted the frames up a bit on both sides to allow room for details on the bunk wall and the Port Side wall.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]20160716.jpg[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]20160717.jpg[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Here is my Turret Alcove replacement. Came out looking grate and the fit is perfect. Gonna be an awesome addition to my kit! This is printed in White ABS with the Resin Ladder (not pictured):[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]20160715.jpg[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]20160714.jpg[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]And finally got my Cockpuit Corridor Wall Replacements... these came out looking AWESOME! The fit was a little tight but with a little sanding of the front tabs, they slid right into place with no problems! Here's how they look prepainted![/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]20160712.jpg[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]20160713.jpg[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Now I can really start painting and getting everything together and I feel so stoked about how things are coming together! Lemme know what you think![/font]

I've gotten a bunch of my Shapeways parts that I've made printed and delivered and have been painting them up, but my Front Wall Replacement had a couple of small issues (that I've fixed since then) that have cropped up that I figured I would address here. The biggest being that the tube wall doesn't fit in the the back properly. Well it's a pretty easy fix. If any of you have ever had after market parts to detail your model would know, not all of them are perfect and you usually end up having to "fix" them to get them to fit properly. This is a pretty easy fix. All you need to do is trim about 1mm off the front edge of the tube itself on both sides with a dremel tool. Easy right... well here's what it would look like.

Using the dremel, sand down both ends of the tube about an inch (pictured here I did it at an angle).
20160811.jpg
20160814.jpg

Test fit as you go to make sure you don't overdo it.
20160810.jpg

20160815.jpg

Once you get them trimmed properly it all falls right into place and even the tabs at the top and bottom fit into the slots properly.
20160812.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of after market parts! Now I've since fixed this issue with the front wall replacement. So if you were to order it today you wouldn't have this problem, but for those that have ordered it prior to today, it's an easy fix so you don't have to worry about buying a whole new part! Easy pezy! :)

Well I've been been painting my Turrent Tube Replacement and I gotta say... I'm very happy with it. Here's what it looks like (before I add lights to it!)

20160817.jpg
20160820.jpg
20160819.jpg

And here's a comparision of my part against the supplied stock part. You can see, mine definitely looks more movie accurate (even if it doesn't connect the turrets together, but then it never would be able to!)
20160818.jpg
20160816.jpg

OK all... here's the latest updates to my build. I decided to go with the Paragrafix corridor photoetch kit. I like them over the 3D printed hallways. Why? All the corridors have these little floor slits that emit light. Here's a screen cap of the floor lights.

Movie%2BClipping%2B12a.jpg

But you have to trim the sides down but leave the spots where the cushion rings fit. That was a major pain in the tush! However... after trimming my floor plates... the first thing I wanted to do was get these floors looking at least somewhat accurate. That meant gluing, alot of cutting, and repainting. Here's how they came out.

hallpl10.jpg
hallpl11.jpg

Now, notice the step to the cockpit corridor... this really can't be avoided due to the pit on the bottom of the hull, but this PE kit comes with a nice little plate to put there to light up that section. It also comes with the "hidden floor comparatments" but I'm not gonna use them at all... I just glued them into place. Why? Well... in order to actually do them would mean that I would have to scratch build a little compartment under each floor section, cut out the hole in the floor and then figure out a way to still light up the floor slits an avoid the compartments. Besides, I don't think they will be seen once everything is together, but those floor slits will be, so they are my priority.

Ok... so I got a plan. Now that my floors are all painted and grunged properly, I need to think about how I'm going to put the lights under them. The first task is to paint the areas under the floors white. Why white? I could paint them silver but they wouldn't quite look right and would generate alot of hot spots. White on the otherhand would disperse the light more evenly with less hot spots and would be more visually appealing. So I masked off my corridor tubes and started painting.

whitem10.jpg
whited11.jpg
whited10.jpg

With that done I had to see just how good the light gets dispersed. So I tossed a couple of white LEDs on the floor, put the floors over them and VIOLA... I think we've got a winner here.

ledsdo10.jpg
lightt11.jpg
lightt10.jpg

Of course I won't be using just regular LEDs here... I'm waiting for my LED strips to come in. So... while I wait for them, I decided it's time to paint these cushion rings to match the rest of my interior. Of course I'm talking about using the Buffing Metalizer Gun Metal... love this stuff. Spray it on, wait for it to dry, buff it to a shine and it looks like metal... used it on the floors too with a little bit of weathering powders to dirty them up a bit if you were wondering!

ringsp10.jpg

Well that's it for now troopers... more to come... I assure you! :)

Thanks Q... here's the latest update: Well weekend is over and even thou I didn't get the panels on, I did complete the top frame! Yes it's all held together with screws but boy is it solid! That's issues 48 thru 72 on my work bench... yeah it's pretty messy!

upfram10.jpg
upfram11.jpg

There's still quite a bit of parts painting and assembling I have to do yet. First I ended up getting the SW 3D Printed Nav Computer. I'll be putting fibers in it soon!

ncprep11.jpg
ncpain11.jpg

Next I did some work on my seating area... still have more work to do on it (painted areas, fiber optics) but mainly wanted to make sure my seats looked realistic enough. I used Flat Tan with some Mud pastels to make them look "well used". Also going to be putting some fibers in my Dajarikk table and up in my upper bunk. Am going to remove the light above the seats to use my Light Pipe. Last pic they are just mocked up, not glued together yet. Starting to look good. Will work on the lighting and see what I can come up with for these.

seatsd10.jpg
chesst10.jpg
seatmo10.jpg

Yeah I know... not perfect, but will be! :) Lemme know what you think!

Ok... new update! I got a few parts from Shapeways and one of them was the electrical room where Han and Leia kissed (otherwise known by my friend and guy who designed it the Kissing Booth). He did a really good job on it. Only thing missing were the various wires and pipes that lined the wall randomly. But I can understand that those are really difficult to print. So, getting out my trusty epoxy putty, I made some wires and pipes as close to the movie as I could possibly get and added them to the part. Now I'm not fretting over the paint job because this area won't really be seen very well. I basically started with a base of Buffing Gun Metal (to tie the color to the rest of my interior) and then did some dry brushing of light gray, dark gray, silver and light tan weathered with pastel mud. The only lights in this section are on the panel on the wall (still need to add the fibers to it) and the overhead light. But the effect came out looking pretty phenominal. I'll let you judge for yourself. (NOTE: The light by the doorway is lit up and ready to go! :))

Wall seen in the movie:
erwall11.jpg

After painting the piping/wires:
erwall10.jpg
erwall12.jpg

Unseen wall:
erwall13.jpgerwall14.jpg

Room Assembled:
erasse11.jpg
erasse10.jpg

Mocked up in place (Here's how it will look when it's in place):
erwlig11.jpg
erwlig10.jpg
eripgo10.jpg
eripgo11.jpg

Needless to say, it's coming together nicely! In the immortal words of George Peppard "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Latest posts

Back