Sandpaper grit confusion

Crow4ever

Do the Tamiya finishing abrasives use the CAMI, the ISO/FEPA, or the JIS grit designations? Or something else altogether?

I had a set of sandpaper, from 2500 grit down to 180. Then I was given some Tamiya finishing abrasives, marked P2000, P1500, P1000, etc. Now, normally, I thought that anything using the P# system was the ISO/FEPA designation, which would mean that P2000 is the same as CAMI 1000. But the Tamiya P2000 feels smoother than the 2500... or maybe I'm just losing my touch.

Can anyone shed some light on this conundrum?

I've picked up some automotive wet-dry sandpaper, in 400 and 800 grit, as per DreamKnight's recommendations. Should I get anything finer for putty work? And should I shell out for some Testors or Micro Mark hobby sandpaper, for finer grits?

Tamiya uses the "P" grading system

There is quite a difference , I pulled this from google a while back.
can't remember the source ,but I had the exact same questions ,, there is a vast difference between some grades.

you want a grade that has equal size particles ,, vs wood sanding paper that varies and can better tear at the wood.. but would leave too many scratches in a finishing job.. it is explained somewhat in the chart

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back