RX-178 Gundam Mk-II

OK. That is seriously insanely good. About as awesome as it could get. Your photography too man...it's fantastic. Share your method, would ya.

Thanks all for the kind comments. I was really going for the used-but-not-damaged look here. A couple images are click-able for bigger ones by the way.

Scott Girvan said:
Your photography too man...it's fantastic. Share your method, would ya.

"Know thy Camera". I have a basic 6MP Canon pocket camera but I've managed to wrangle it into taking half decent shots.
- Shoot outside on an overcast day. Probably the single most important thing (and hey, its free!).
- Tripod!
- Even my basic camera lets me force an ISO. Pick the LOWEST one (in my case 80). Least amount of grain, most dynamic range. Only downside is its slow but if you are on a tripod that's a non-issue.
- Macro setting. Every camera should have one. Try pulling back and zooming in (less barreling of the image, though sometimes thats a cool effect such as the close-up with the pilot shown above).
- Metering. Camera's vary but mine has a couple choices: multi-patern (where it looks at the whole image), center weighted (where it looks at the center), and spot (where it literally looks at a dot in the center). This last one is the key. Any other setting ends up much to dark because the camera is looking at the white background.
- Photoshop. Let me be clear: I DO NOT retouch the model in any way, shape, or form. That's cheating. :) But I do correct for the camera's shortcomings, mainly adjusting the levels/gamma of the image (boosting the mid tones to bring out the shadows for example).

Cool. Thanks for that info on photography. I really need to do a video on this.

Latest posts

Back