Russian NKL-16 Aerosan

foenetik

Edit: Completed! Final pics on Page 2. Thanks for looking!

I think this is in the right spot. could be wrong, history isnt my strong suit. I apologize if wrong.

So, i picked this up while im waiting for a part on my MP4/4 as a little break from tiny parts. Of course i open the box and its full of tiny parts, but not as tiny as the Top Studio kit im working on..

This is my first Military Vehicle, as well as my first real weathering ( i did a charger, but i experimented on my own, no tutorials or help so i was guessing). Its a WIP, but figured id show my progress. TRM has been a HUGE help in showing me the weathering ropes. I probably ask too much of him but thats how i am. 1000 questions. Thanks TRM!

To begin our journey....

I never did a military vehicle so this may be standard issue but i was pretty impressed with the quality of it. Lots of Rivet details, and detail in general. Its by Trumpeteer. Picked it up at a show last minute. Glad i did. No flash to speak of, and its going together really well. I wanted it to look like its been through some years instead of new, cause what fun is new?

I only had to fix one thing so far, on the skis you have to put the suspension on in between PE parts, and the springs have an angled sprue, so when you cut them it doesnt leave a round rod like it should, and it kinda causes the exacto to track the sprue angle so i cut them all too short, couldnt put them into the PE holes. See pic..

IMG_5623_zpsd9ad9fd8.jpg

so what i did was i cut the ends of each spring off, then glued them to some styrene rod i had laying around for another build. this let me put them through the PE and then glue to the spring. then put coardboard as a spacer so it didnt sit flat on the ski. worked out well actually.

IMG_5622_zps688913a2.jpg

IMG_5624_zps5fa5e333.jpg

IMG_5621_zps23b7f0d6.jpg

IMG_5625_zps019da723.jpg

so with that done, i put together sub assemblies, like the engine and such to get ready for paint..

Engine had a lot of small fiddly parts.. looks good though..
IMG_5653_zps72097adc.jpg

IMG_5649_zps4c4bd976.jpg

IMG_5647_zpseaf41880.jpg

Ski Primered..

IMG_5676_zps9ef0a5ff.jpg

Then i got to painting.. Started with the engine, the plans show all black but thats kinda boring so i decided to change it up a little. Alclad Pale gold, and light Alclad Stainless Steel, then Dullcoated and black washed. I have some more to do but waiting to do final washes when my MIG stuff shows up.

IMG_5698_zpsc7a27b32.jpg

IMG_5697_zps7c972ebe.jpg

Preshaded the body, but kind of laid paint on too thick, have to work on that, so i decided to do a wash, and will do mud and other stuff later. Same with skis. Still have to do some light chipping as well. Again, first time really working with oil wash or any real weathering.. could be better. but im happy.

IMG_5719_zps84ebfbe4.jpg

IMG_5718_zps360e4903.jpg

IMG_5716_zps7803bd2f.jpg

Engine Shroud..
IMG_5722_zps4486e4e3.jpg

Doors..
IMG_5729_zpse3393302.jpg

For the interior I went with USSR Green, didnt like it at first cause it was bright green, but im also color blind so it may just be off putting to me. Decided to beat it up and it looks much better than just being one color. I didnt go crazy with detail cause the doors/windows are so small you wont really see much, but it was good practice anyhow. Went a little overboard with chipping but first time, and i was thinking it would be beat up, i mean they wont be cleaning anything in there.

IMG_5739_zps0d5caed3.jpg

IMG_5740_zps206f1b20.jpg

IMG_5741_zps3e100a2e.jpg

IMG_5742_zps067040f7.jpg

IMG_5743_zpsb14ca51f.jpg

IMG_5745_zps9460a987.jpg

so thats where it stands right now, painting the suspension. decided to match the engine a bit so the springs are alclad pale gold and rest is alclad SS with dullcote to remove shine. BTW, dull cote eats at alclad (both laquer i guess) so it weathered it nicely. worked to my advantage. luckily...

Well, you are welcome Anthony! Enjoy helping where I can. You do seem to have things quite literally "in hand". Nice work on this little guy!! It's weathering up nicely too!! The engine work looks great!! Keep plugging away this one!! ;)

Very cool. Got this in the stash.

The engine looks really good, I like that method you used. Gonna be a nice little model once complete.

Thanks guys. looking forward to finishing it soon.

i kind of want to do a mini dio. maybe not dio... maybe the picture frame thing, with snow. just a little something to mount it i guess. my local shop has snow in a plastic container, but never touched the stuff so not sure if im biting off more than i can chew. but i know if i mount it to something ill want to do dirt and grass and all that. decisions decisions

foenetik said:
Thanks guys. looking forward to finishing it soon.

i kind of want to do a mini dio. maybe not dio... maybe the picture frame thing, with snow. just a little something to mount it i guess. my local shop has snow in a plastic container, but never touched the stuff so not sure if im biting off more than i can chew. but i know if i mount it to something ill want to do dirt and grass and all that. decisions decisions

A vignette. ;)

You totally should. There's several methods for modeling snow.

If it were mine I'd tryto model it on a 'solid snow' base. I'd start with high density foam and sculpt a base. Then add white spackle and get a foundation...smoothing it, adding tracks. Then I'd use that white 'plastic container' snow - if it's Woodland Scenics stuff - mixed with a bit of Future Floor and use that in places where you want variation, edge of skis etc... If you also want tall grass sticking up through the snow you can add that after the base goes down then pu tthe thinner mix around it carefully.

Just an idea.

Scott Girvan said:
A vignette. ;)

You totally should. There's several methods for modeling snow.

If it were mine I'd tryto model it on a 'solid snow' base. I'd start with high density foam and sculpt a base. Then add white spackle and get a foundation...smoothing it, adding tracks. Then I'd use that white 'plastic container' snow - if it's Woodland Scenics stuff - mixed with a bit of Future Floor and use that in places where you want variation, edge of skis etc... If you also want tall grass sticking up through the snow you can add that after the base goes down then pu tthe thinner mix around it carefully.

Just an idea.

ahh, thats whats its called. got it.

sounds easy enough, ill consider it. thank you for the ideas. i know it would look a ton better. i just dont want to commit to somehting ill make worse haha.

No pressure, just thought I'd chime in. I'm sure you'd make it look great.

Scott Girvan said:
No pressure, just thought I'd chime in. I'm sure you'd make it look great.

no no, i appreciate it. everything helps. its just overwhelming how broad modeling is from when you used to model as a kid. lot to take in. im going to give it a try. why not.

Dude, why didn't I see this before? This is sweet! I've seen the kit before but never built up!

Nice Job!

adampolo13 said:
Dude, why didn't I see this before? This is sweet! I've seen the kit before but never built up!

Nice Job!

cause i just posted it today?? lol

i got it at the show i met you at. its recent lol

Cool. We're here to help if you need it. Most important thing is to have fun.

i know, and i appreciate it. im sure ill be asking when i get to that point. got a bit to go.

small update:

Suspension parts. need to do more washing but you get the idea..

IMG_5746_zpsb9e06b42.jpg

Suspension Brackets, first time using hairspray. came out pretty good after a wash...
IMG_5754_zpsce9e97f1.jpg

Thanks Todd.

i was trying to get the interior just right then it kinda hit me that when i put the roof on, and even if i swing the doors open, you really cant see much inside and im really detailing it for nothing haha. i like the practice but its time to move forward. got my parts for the mp4.

Not for nothing Anthony! At least you know what you did on the inside...and practice is always a good thing!! ;D

TRM said:
Not for nothing Anthony! At least you know what you did on the inside...and practice is always a good thing!! ;D

true true. just glued the roof. need to panel wash it, then putting it together so i can play with streaking.

well, had a little break from modeling due to work. got some more work done. almost there! im pretty happy with it.

still need to add some oil drips and such near the engine, and add the last parts. then im going to make a base from a frame cause the thing is ridiculously fragile. im pretty happy with it considering its my first real weathering project. did a car before but didnt know about all these weathering products so it was just ok.engine is all attached now, but ill take pics when its dry.

IMG_5958_zps3d104daf.jpg

IMG_5959_zps7d4f04ea.jpg

IMG_5960_zpsc7161d2e.jpg

IMG_5961_zpsf0e2c978.jpg

IMG_5962_zps35d523f7.jpg

IMG_5963_zps3d2acc4e.jpg

IMG_5964_zps38b2192c.jpg

IMG_5965_zpsd60ef598.jpg

Latest posts

Back