Russian Monster - AFV

Biskup

New Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
1,876
Hi Chaps,
So here is my entry for this year’s contest.
Isu152rad001_zpsi4ravv3b.jpg
Isu152rad002_zpsuzz8fts4.jpg
I will be attempting to replicate ISU-152 number 100 that rusts and roots very closely to Nuclear reactor in Chernobyl. Several of those machines where used to demolish buildings during the clean up. It won't be easy as some scratch build and a lot of rust will be needed to make this one look the part.
All comments, tips and suggestions are more than welcome :)
 

Biskup

New Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
1,876
Thank you for the intrest.

Few pieces put together, a bit removed and something added.
Isu152rad004.jpg
Isu152rad005.jpg
Isu152rad006.jpg
 
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
281
That's a cool project!
I didn't know they used these for the cleanup - that's a new definition for a f**d-up day job :)
I look forward to your progress
 

Biskup

New Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
1,876
Thank you chaps.
Yeah don’t think it was fun. But I think it was still better than picking radioactive material with just rubber gloves.

Few more elements added and made.
Isu152rad007.jpg
Isu152rad008.jpg
 

Biskup

New Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
1,876
Most of the assembly finished along with the huge part of the interior filling.
Isu152rad009.jpg
Everything in first layer of primer.
Isu152rad010.jpg
 

Biskup

New Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
1,876
First rust colour applied. I manly focused on the interior as it needs to be painted first. That’s why the exterior effect is so uneven.
Isu152rad011.jpg
 

Biskup

New Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
1,876
All thou the kit is ready for painting process I have decided to make some test of chipping fluids and methods first. So that I will be able to choose the best method and specifics for certain areas.
This is how the test plate looks.
Isu152rad012.jpg
The plate was first covered with black primer and then with the mix of Tamiya Black and Hull Red.
Here is the descriptions of what I have used.
1 - Worn Effect from Ak-Interactive on which I airbrushed Tamiya White broken with Grey and Yellow paints diluted with water. After few minutes the plate was moistened with water and the chips were made with toothpick and two different brushes.
2 - Hair spray, on which I airbrushed Tamiya White broken with Grey and Yellow paints diluted with water. After few minutes the plate was moistened with water and the chips were made with toothpick and two different brushes.
3 – Tamiya White broken with Grey and Yellow paints diluted with water. After few minutes the plate was moistened with mixture of 30% of Cleaner for Acrylic paints from Wamod company and 70% water. Chips were made with toothpick and two different brushes.
4 - Worn Effect from Ak-Interactive on which I airbrushed AK- Interactive paint from 4BO modulation set. After few minutes the plate was moistened with water and the chips were made with toothpick and two different brushes.
5 - AK- Interactive paint from 4BO modulation set. After few minutes I used Clin (Windows and Glass) and stiff brush.
6 - Tamiya White broken with Grey and Yellow paints diluted with water. After few minutes I used Clin (Windows and Glass) and stiff brush.
7 – Heavy Chipping from Ak-Interactive on which I airbrushed Tamiya White broken with Grey and Yellow paints diluted with water. After few minutes the plate was moistened with water and the chips were made with toothpick and two different brushes.
I have spent the same amount of time for removing paint for each technique and I have used the same tools. This allows me better to see what results can be achieved by using each specifics and techniques.
In 2 case the Hair Spray gave some interesting results but unfortunately it has reacted with the base colours.
Also interesting effect were achieved with Acrylic paint cleaner from Wamod. But the solution needs to be softer. Something around 10% Cleaner and 90% water.
Using Clin solutions also gives interesting effects and it is a much more controlled process of creating chips. The bigger chips occurred around places previously damaged by toothpick
Each of this techniques and solutions give interesting effect that can be applied in specific places and in specific way.
For chips in the interior of my ISU I will be using Clin. As for the external surfaces I will be using combination of all of this techniques. Depending on the places and effect that I want.
 

Biskup

New Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
1,876
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to finish this one in time. But I’m still working on it and I will be posting photos and updates.
 

Latest posts

Top