Roughing up decals

unttld

Mechanical
I've looked around here and a few other places and haven't found any info on it. Sorry if it is a repeat, I did look… promise. Scouts honour.

Can I scuff up decals the same way I chip paint? Or, if I let the decal dry out quite a bit and scrub it a bit with steel wool will that work? Just trying to figure out how to actually destroy the decal without eating through paint underneath it. I prefer the subtractive methods (chipping, et. al.) over the additive methods (sponge, micro painting) and was just curious if anyone's done this for decals.

Thanks.

Probably the easiest way to chip a decal is to do it while you are putting it on.

Put the decal in place as per normal, and then put some Micro Sol (or similar product) on it, let it soften the decal and then you can go to town on chipping the decal. Once you are done, give it a sealer coat over it (Matt, gloss, whatever), and then continue with normal weathering.

I would hesitate to use steel wool as you are likely to rub through and take out paint, possibly right back to bare plastic if you aren't careful.

As well, with the decal softener on the decal it will be very easy to chip and maim the decal, so you don't need much to do so.

Ah. Thanks for the info. Can I go at it with a toothbrush or toothpicks? Or treat it the same as hairspray chipping/weathering?

Latest posts

Back