Rocketship XM

Go Flight

I was looking thru my stack of kits the other nite. Part of a stack started to fall and when I straightened things up I discovered I had two stacks, one in front of another. I looked thru the kits that I haven't seen in a while and rediscovered Fantastic Plastic's Rocketship XM. This looks to be a super simple build being only 8 parts, plus the base, plus the decal.

From IMDB's entry on Rocketship XM : Astronauts (Lloyd Bridges, Osa Massen, John Emery, Noah Beery, Jr., and Hugh O'Brien) blast off to explore the moon. Because of craft malfunction and some fuel calculations, they end up landing on Mars. On Mars, evidence of a once powerful civilization is found. The scientists determine that an atomic war destroyed most of the Martians (who surprisingly look like humans). Those that survived reverted to a caveman-like existence.

On to the kit. As I mentioned a super simple build. It took only a few minutes to rid the side fins of little pour stubs and a tiny amount of flash. Then it was already time to start gluing the parts together - -
001.jpg
002.jpg

In the top image the top fin is overlapping by a little bit. I thought I filed that down *before* taking the pic. In any event that all nice and smooth now. You can also see that the Vallejo Plastic Putty made short work of the gaps between the fins and fuselage. I love that stuff now! ;)

Finally, not this isn't a chewed up burger. It's the Martian base. Looking at it in person I didn't notice it being that bright. I'll have a fresh look at it and maybe tone it down with a dusting coat of tan or beige - -
003.jpg

The gap there is where the title card decal goes. Sadly it's not in the box. I have no idea where it went or when I lost it. I may try to make my own decal (a first) or write to Allen at FP to see about buying a new one.
Lastly the call out for paint for the rocket says Titanium. That's one of the colors I didn't buy when I picked up a bunch of the new Vallejo Metallics. Hmmm, should I just order it or use what I have...
Thanks for looking.

Nice find! The movie was black and white, so I don't really think that the color would matter. But if you do a google image search you will find that the filming model was kind of aluminum in color.

I'd go with a buffing metalizer paint from Testors... Aluminum would look awesome! Just paint it on, let it dry, and buff it to a shiney chrome finish! Or even try Alclad II... they have some awesome chrome paint that would make it stand out!

Looks like a giant squid !

Now I want one to paint likewise :eek:

... I thought the base was red velvet cake ...

Anxious to see the paint-work !

Cheers ,
Uru

Latest posts

Back