Robbo's question time

Robbo

Quick question if I may :)

Do you ship builders drill out the little port holes so they are actually holes or leave them as little dents like they're moulded as ?

Hope that makes sense

I'll use this thread to ask all the questions I find need answering as they come up

Cheers ;D

I would drill them out. Right down to 1/700 scale. The effect is definitely worth it I think. anything after that I think your eyes would cross and your hands cramp up. ;D If the porthole rings look to thick after, you could try sanding them lightly. What scale are we talking?

Next question

When doing the rigging there is nothing to fix the rigging to the deck, I was thinking of getting/making some rings that would be a attaching point to the deck, this was way I could in effect sew the rigging through the loops ( no needle ::) ) in longer runs. Is this what you chaps do?

cheers

N20.jpg

Another one :)

My next ship is another 1/600, how do I find the waterline to cut the bottom off it ?? ;)

Keeping you busy

Hey Robbo! Been thinking about this one.....

First the boot stripe(if any) is not always the water line. Also the ship would sit lower in the water full stock than on a return voyage and 3rd she would be (if I remember correctly) higher in the summer (warmer water) than in the winter months...with all that aside.. You should be able to find some pretty good shot of how she is lying and gauge your cut accordingly. Use reference marks like the boot stripe, port holes, anchor wells to find one single point reference. Try printing out the picture to about the scale you are working and you should be able to match it it pretty close.

From there, prop her up on a stand or makeshift keel clamp so she is sturdy. Then take a dowel ant either drill a hole through it ( if it's wide enough) and slide a pencil through. The pencil should be at the height of you referenced waterline mark. On a flat surface (kitchen table??) you should be able to transfer the waterline (level line) all the way around the ship. A small pen laser or higher end rotary laser works well too. Set the laser to the height and take your pencil and mark your line.

There are formulas ans drawings and blah, blah, blah....basically if you are going to do a waterline series by cutting the bottom get your reference point close to what you see leaving some , cause I could assume you will be creating some sort of water effect. And the rest will come together with listing and waves.

Hope some of this babble helps :p

BTW...Which Ship?

That is a big help T. Another little one to practice on HMS Montgomery. I have cut the bottom off now using the bottom row of portholes as a guide, but thank you very much

Monty4.jpg

Just having a bit of a practice at doing a sea before I do it on the latest 1/600

Can you give me any advice from what you sea, remember the colour is only for practice purposes

Monty9.jpg

Found this on a local river where I live

IMGP0247.jpg

Don't see many Russian subs knocking about on English rivers

This has turned out great matey...............i know it`s only the practice one but you`ve done a top job, look forward to seeing the Monty sitting in the final piece buddy ;D

`Boots`

Robbo said:
Found this on a local river where I live

IMGP0247.jpg

Don't see many Russian subs knocking about on English rivers

Had to look this one up..she is the Soviet Foxtrot class hunter/killer Sub U-475

Latest posts

Back