Revisiting nostalgia once again.

GaryG64

I'm seeing a great trend here. Alot of us Boomers and younger guys (and some gals) are getting back to the nostalgia of model glue and paint caked fingertips. I can still remember one afternoon my mom was heating up SpaghettiOs for lunch and the unmistakable aroma wafting into my room dancing under my nose would break me away from what ever kit I was building.

If we weren't building our latest hotrod or our favorite kit we were surely outside playing until the streetlights came on, which was our que to pack it up and go in for the night to have dinner, take a bath, and go to bed then do it all over the next day.
It is nice to get back to our stress-free hobby caking up our fingertips once again. And maybe have a mug of SpaghettiOs for lunch to revisit memory lane.

I'm going to enjoy hanging out with y'all and showing off and sharing our work with each other.

Last edited:
Welcome and I don't know that I would call it stress free. Those little pieces flying off into oblivion can cause some unpleasant words to exit the pie hole. But it is still a lot of fun. The finished product is the reward.

Welcome and I don't know that I would call it stress free. Those little pieces flying off into oblivion can cause some unpleasant words to exit the pie hole. But it is still a lot of fun. The finished product that is the reward.
Yeah, having a piece or five snap off into the stratosphere or sacrificed to the carpet gods or just vanish from the bench, for no reason at all drive me crazy.
With that, I'm either forced to make/create a new piece or incorporate the missing piece as an accident that might have happened. Ordering a replacement part can take so long to receive or not receive at all.
And yes, the finished product is a great feeling.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Herd, Geg!

I pick some subjects by nostalgia, like building old Monogram kits. But I'm not nostalgic for glue smudges, etc. ;)

I look forward to seeing your builds!

Best regards,
Brad

Yes, welcome to this most amazing place - Plenty of great folk's herein and some fascinating builds and the sharing of thoughts. AND there is something to be said about 'nostalgia' - Between putting down for the umpteen time an MaKSF3d build, it is now back to an original Beer Wagon [I've had for a million-years], hopefully to 'upgrade & detail'; along with an old Shelby GT350R... It's fun and relaxing this crazy-world of model building. [Personally, I like sharing graham crackers and milk, with the Grandson ;)]

I remember my first model back in 1973. I had broken my arm in such a way I had a pin through my arm and in traction, lying on my back, for three weeks. Not a fun time for a 9 year-old... the Watergate trials were on every station! B o a r i n g.
After I went home and had my cast off I was given a small airplane model. Not knowing anything about building models and model glue; I used Elmer's glue. I found out that the model didn't play well in the bath tub.
I would like to think I've improved somewhat since then.
This is a great site with so much information, ideas, and people.

Latest posts

Back