Revell vs Tamiya vs Others

RKrebs

I, for one, like Roman Numerals.
Ok, so this is a newbie question I know, but what is the difference between the 2 and/or others? Aside from the obvious quality differences, of which I am not sure about either, are there differences in accuracy specific to the era or something else I need to be concerned about?

This is going to be my first build after years and years and years being away from the hobby. (Literally 30 years) So I am basically starting out all over again. I am trying to decide on what to build first. The M48 Patton or the Spitfire. Also. any suggestions as to scale would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at the 1/35 now.

Thank you all in advance,

Ron

I wouldn't worry about it . at all .

Just pick whichever subject you're most interested in .

as for scale , 1/35 for armor and either 1/48 or 1/72 for aircraft .

don't over think it ... too early in the game ;D ( unless you're really concerned about exact accuracy , then that conversation can get long .. )
but do shop around for price and shipping if not local .

Hobby Easy , Hobby Link Japan , Lucky Model are just a few .
and of course our own Elm City Hobbies here at SMA .... I'm sure he'll be commenting , I hope .

I put together a big list of vendors over on Armorama
I'll try and find the link .

Post back any questions on specific kits ,, really big field as it sits --Spitfire or Patton

Cheers
Uru
PS - in fact , you should ask over at Armorama.com - in the AFV forum - about the best Patton kit . Definitely .

Thank you. No, I am not interested in getting into the historic accuracy debate as I am sure that can go on and on and on. My question really was, and very poorly asked too by the way, what is the difference between the kits and companies? Should I avoid any 1 company? Or 2 or 3?

You really can't go wrong with Tamiya for either kit .

You have something available to you local or deciding on something online ?

BTW , i edited my first post a wile ago ,, maybe while/after your response .

Uru

Ahh, I didn't notice that.

I will HAVE to buy it online as I don' t have a hobby store where I live. I live on an island so I can't just hop in the car and run on over to the hobby store to pick what I need up. So I am stuck with doing everything online.

I will check out that other site as well as Elm City.

Thanks

Here's that list : http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=222592#1874066

& the original thread with everyone's comments , pros , cons , moanes , problems ,delights -all the details :
http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=222242#1871023

Ciao ---- good luck .

Hope to see your WIP soon enough

Uru

Excellent. that is quite a list. I will work my way through it soon enough.

Honestly I can't wait to post my first WIPs.

I greatly appreciate the info,

Ron

M48 is an older Tamiya kit, soft on details, but pretty much a "shake n bake" kit. Will be an easier build than the Revell kit. Revell one is probably a bit more detailed, and more parts.

Spitfire, newer, decent also a "shake n bake" kit. Best Spitfire on the market IMHO is the Eduard ones, but the Tamiya one would be a distant 2nd, that doesn't mean that it too isn't a great kit.

Most Tamiya kits are the same, go together easy, normally less parts than others, and less detail (sometimes), but you get your money's worth, and can usually build them in a solid weekend, really can't go wrong with them, despite some other companies having a kit with better detail, more parts, etc, etc.

If you are new to modeling, I always tell people to start with a Tamiya kit, depending on what they want to build.

Outstanding. Thank you. I will definitely start out with Tamiya until I get it down then. Honestly I am detail oriented enough, I think anyway, to put the model together nicely. It is going to be the painting techniques that I am sure will take a while for me to get the hang of. No sense messing up $150 models when I can screw up $15. :)

Thanks again for the advise.

Check this out !
Hot off the press ;D http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=11792&utm_source=Armorama+News&utm_campaign=e4ada702d6-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_340b75aa74-e4ada702d6-305722769

Uru

Ok, I know I am new to this and all, but the details on that look amazing!!! Especially all the stippling on the turret and body.

I just ordered one. :)

Latest posts

Back