Revell U 99

The washes help a lot...looking good buddy...keep it going!!!!!!!!! ;)

-Spud, i fairly kicked in the after burner on this project, both as bit of challange and to make sure it would get done and be shelfed again ;) Also the buildhas proved to be great fun so thats the reason im tearing through it ;D

- TRM, the wash really helped tone everything down and give that lived in look with just a few coats ;)
just waiting for it to dry fully before i start adding the scratching, which i say will be tomorrow sometime

BUILD UPDATE: 2CM FLAK GUN

while the oil wash dries, its time to add some detail to the cunning tower's 2cm flak gun mount. The kits offering is a little on the basic side, so id attempt a few scratch built extras to help bring it out a little. the kit lacks the gunner's support rig and 20 round magazine loaded to the top of the gun so out came the wire and plastic stock ;)

illustr_2cmAA.gif

the gunners shoulder supports were made from small diameter lead wire mounted a small support arms made from scrap plastic rod, the gun's magazine was cut to shade from a sheet of thick plastic sheet. then the whole unit was painted in medium sea grey and weathered with a shadow brown wash

P1100667.jpg

more to follow soon,

cheers,

shane

Now there is some tiny stuff!!! :eek: Opti-specs!!!!!! Moving right along...very nice!!! ;)

hahahaha its a wee bit fiddly in this scale when it comes to details, and took at least six goes to get the wire to bend to look right and mount on the support arms ;)

thanks for your comment :)

cheers,

shane

Hi all, time for the final weathering update gents ;)

BUILD UPDATE: FINAL WEATHERING

After leaving the oil wash to dry for a few days, its time to add scratches, rust and grime streaking on the hull. Model colour 70818 Red Leather and 846 Mahogany Sand was applied with both a fine brush and a small peice of sponge to replicate rust stratches on the hull

P1100669-1.jpg

P1100673.jpg

streaks were of brunt sinenna, brunt umber and shadow brown were added to randomly to the hull and tower

P1100670-1.jpg

P1100678.jpg

P1100670.jpg

more to follow soon

cheers,

shane.

Q - thanks for the kind words, its almost finished just a few more touch ups to do

- TRM, almost there now buddy. Should have the final update up shortly ;D

cheers

shane

Shane, sorry I haven't chance upon this!!! the beast looks great and the weathering is right on target!!!

Cheers!!
ER

Eastrock said:
Shane, sorry I haven't chance upon this!!! the beast looks great and the weathering is right on target!!!

Cheers!!
ER

Better late than never my friend :)

thanks for such kind words

ill have the final photo update up in the day or so

cheers

shane

Hi all,

its about i posted the final update with the finished model, it a little tricky trying to get a model this long in one shot, so theres a few sectioned shots showing off a few different weathering effects too :)

FINISHED MODEL:

P1100718.jpg

P1100719.jpg

P1100720.jpg

P1100722.jpg

P1100724.jpg

P1100725.jpg

P1100730.jpg

P1100731.jpg

in all i really enjoyed this little project, and other have will be more than happy to see it all finished on the shelf next time she see's it. I have another ship model in the stash which ill be doing shortly ;)

cheers all,

shane

Congrats on the finish Shane!!! Well done!!!! Looking forward to seeing another floaty thing build from ya soon!!! ;)

cheers lads ;D

i have two floaty kits to choose from, and one is a monster of a kit ;)

shane.

Wow, Shane! What a great build! I like your weathering job, looks very realistic, she's battered and streaked. I like what you did to enhance some of the kit details, too, like the guns. The kit parts do look a little soft, and your detailing really improves them.

Well done!

the Baron said:
Wow, Shane! What a great build! I like your weathering job, looks very realistic, she's battered and streaked. I like what you did to enhance some of the kit details, too, like the guns. The kit parts do look a little soft, and your detailing really improves them.

Well done!

Hi Baron,

thank you so much for your support and encouragement,
im really glad you enjoyed the build it was loads of fun...cant wait to try a few more subs in the future

cheers

shane

:D Howdy Shane...
´
It seems that your fish finally needs some weeks in the dry-dock... ;D you got it really well battered, man...
´
And surely the crew will need some R&R ... with some special french delicacies... ;D
´
Congrats, Shane, you´ve got a really nice U-boat :)
RG

Latest posts

Back