Revell U 99

longlance67

cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war -shakespear
Hi all,

this is my first naval build on this site and my first naval themed build in a very long time, but i thought id finish a kit that has been sitting on my shelf unpainted for the last year, and thought it would be a good subject to get back into ship models again. The kit was given to me as a Birthday present by my lovely girlfriend who been quizzing me from time to time when she see's sitting on the shelf asking "when will you finish that". So I got the inspiration to finish it in nice heavly weathered finish.... so lets get stuck in :)

RMG5054.jpg

the kit i beleive frist hit the market in the 90's and its begining to show its age. The kit suffers from some flash, and a few too many injection marks and some fit issues all of which would require filling. But on the plus side the kit has low part count, and lends itself well to those who want to do a little scratch detailing.....which i had a go at on the boats weapons

the cunning tower assembly was a little basic, but anyone who has a decent stash of stock plastic card and rod could easily add plenty more detail to the tower. I however was happy to leave it be, and focus on the gaps that needed to be filling and carefully cleaning up the railings.

P1090111.jpg

P1090112.jpg

the hull had some serious fit issues which prevented me from leaving the cunning tower as a sperate assembly and would have to glue the tower in place in order to seal the large gaps on the joint between it and the hull.

P1090122.jpg

thats all for now gents, ill have a few more build photos up soons, then its time to get painting :)

cheers,

shane

Bring it on Shane!!! Love this topic! I have a 1/72 I have been neglecting for a while...this might give me the push to get it back on the bench!!! Keep it coming!!

cheers TRM, hopefully this will help you get back into your sub build ;D

cheers

shane.

It helps Shane!! Was talking with someone else today and it got me thinking some more too!!! Must be strong and finish what I got out there.....she can wait just a bit longer!! ;)

TRM said:
It helps Shane!! Was talking with someone else today and it got me thinking some more too!!! Must be strong and finish what I got out there.....she can wait just a bit longer!! ;)

I hope she wont be waiting too long ;).................as there can never be enought u-boat builds at any one time ! ;D

As for my boat, im thinking of adding a splinter camo scheme to her to add a little interest to the overall model and also plan to weather the hell out of her with washes and rust effects. the camo scheme i have in mind is somewhat similar to this scheme i found on the web

ulad7ca.jpg

...well thats the plan, need feedback on the camo idea, so any thoughts are welcome

cheers,

shane.

Have at it Shane!!!

I can see about what I got for U-boat camo...this one was right on top......

u443ko3.jpg
For discussion purposes only

This is going to be good!! ;D

wow you messy Fecker!!!!! this will be interestting the build that is ;D

TRM - Thats a nice camo scheme to be sure, it would look good in 1/72 ;)

Spud - this will be a wee bit messy when it comes to the weathering, im going for the look of a boat just returning to base after a patrol in the Atlantic

Im thinking of just going with the normal two tone scheme without the camo pattern as i tried masking it and it porvided to be a little tricky and im trying to get this project wrapped up by the weekend without rushing it completely

BUILD UPDATE: 8.8CM DECK GUN

the kits deck gun is a fair repersentation of the real steel but its a little simplified and requires a little detailing to bring it up to standards.

P1090119.jpg

looking at the real thing, ull noticed that the kits gun doesnt have the gunners and loaders support cradles and is also lacking the guns sights

WNGER_88mm-45_skc35_pic.jpg

so out came the platic stock and my limited scratch building skills to add a little of the missing details to the kits gun, i added the gunners and loaders support cradles and the retaining cord for the muzzle cap. though it was a bit of a basic udgrade but im happy with the results i managed to pull off :)

P1090198.jpg

more updates to follow soon,

cheers,

shane

;) Following this at periscope depth, Shane ;D

Oh, your girl has good eye to make presents !

Those VII-Charlies are a candy to te eye... the Rita Hayworths of the subs world ! ;)

Go on, Shane, feed us with pix !
RG

- Jelly,

I have to agree with you that these U boats are very pleasing to the eye indeed :)
and the Mrs. has a very good eye for kits to be sure ;)
She got me revell's 1/72 B 17 which for my birthday this year ;D

BUILD UPDATE: PAINT TIME

After kinda running from the complex camo scheme :-\ , I began to prepare for the painting stage. First the model got primed with choas black spray primer. For the upper hull i applied model air colour 71049 medium sea grey, which was applied in thin layers. Once given a few hours to dry i coated the upper hull in Matt varnish to seal it in and then masked waterline with tami tape in prep for the lower hull.

The lower hull was painted in a mixture of model colours: 70991Dark sea grey, 70992 Neutral grey and Bronze Green, after a few more thin coats i was left with this ;D

P1100653.jpg

im really happy with the paint job it came out very neat, which was a nice surprise as
i always have bad results with removing tape and striping paint, but the varnish layers paid off ;D

more to follow soon,

cheers,

shane

Very nice!!! Love seeing the color going down on this!!

Keep it going!! ;)

- TRM, thanks so much for the encouragement buddy. Im really having a blast painting this model, and cant wait to show how it weathers up

cheers mate

shane

Magic word there Shane....Weather!!! Woo hoo!!! Really making me wanna pull my U-69 out....going crazy now!!! Keep it going!! ;D

Humm... this (a 1:144 sub) could be a good subject for the 2012 B.S. Contest... :)
A compact & nice model !
RG

Never done a sub so I'll be watching how you progress with this one, eavy weathering sounds good ;D

-TRM, It is the magic word indeed ;)
its gonna be fairly battered old boat to be sure ;D

- Jelly, Its a 1:124 model, so its slightly bigger than the 1:144 kits, which makes both compact and yet big enough to show off the details. Didnt think of the contest till ya mentioned it so it may be a entery ;)

- Robbo, this is my first sub model too, and i have to say now i know why there so popular, there great fun to build but its the painting and weathering where subs really come into there own

With all this talk of weathering, i think its time for another update ;)

BUILD UPDATE: WEATHERING

weathering is my most favorite and nerve wracking part of modelling. Its make or break at this stage of the build :p

The first thing that goes on is a heavy wash of Mig's 502 Abteilung shadow brown oil paint.

P1100656-1.jpg

I swear by the stuff, i use in most of my builds and it works wonders, id really recommend picking up a few shades, ull be surprised what ya can do with them. Mixed with white spirits i applied a heavyish wash to the entire model. Then taking a sheet of kitchen paper i began to remove the excess,remendering to wipe in one direction to keep the finish from getting a very messy appearance

P1100657-1.jpg

P1100658-1.jpg

P1100660-1.jpg

P1100661-1.jpg

P1100665-1.jpg

as its n oil based paint itll take good few hours to set, so ill give it time to fully dry, then its time to start adding scratches ;D

more to follow soon,

shane.

Latest posts

Back