Revell supermarine SPITFIRE Mk.22/24 1:32

Bushy

Hey guys!
Ive put my diorama aside for now and started a brand new project. I found this beauty in a supermarket, needless to say, the scale modelling scene in my country is pretty small and the few specialized dealers are struggling... thank god for the internet :) I got this SpitFire off the shelf for about 25$.

Lets get cracking :)

First: The engine

This is what i would like it to look like!
But im pretty sure i will fall short of that, you live you learn...
After cutting out the engine parts and cleaning them up a bit i applied a coat of vallejo gray primer that i got in a spray can, i love this stuff!

Now lets leave that to dry :)
I am rearing for a real airbrush, but i dont want to spend alot of cash on my first set. I wanted it to be propelled with a can of compressed air, i dont want a compressor, not yet anyway! So i got this for 10$...

So im really happy with the can and the regulator, however the airbrush is just so bad that i cant use the proper words in public! The trigger is always on and has to be pulled out to stop the airflow, making it hard to paint anything really... sad... i gave it one last try before i throw that thing out the window!

Pretty sloppy looking, but the vallejo paint is pretty forgiving.
After drying came assembly, with some sanding and repainting with a tiny brush :)

Im letting this dry really well and the plastic cement to harden completely. Ill post as soon as i get to it :)
Cheers!

That Revell kit isnt a bad little kit . Nice start on the engine ,I shall watch for updates :) ...Keep at it ;)

Chris.

I have to say that the parts didnt come together nicely, i had to sand more than i would have liked to, im even considering some filler.
The paint dried quickly as its very hot, so i went ahead with the detailing.

The decal sheet did not include decals for the engine cam covers, so i printed them on plain paper and improvised :p
its not too bad, is it?

Still some touch up work to be done, but im letting it rest for a while :)

Cheers!

Texaslobo said:
Considering what You have to work with it looks GREAT!
Quaralane said:
That engine's looking good

Thanks guys! im glad you like :)
when i was a kid i did everything with brushes, so there is some practice in this, but i really want to get an airbrush!
the other thing is that now that im coming close to 30 my hands arent as steady as they used to be :p but at least i have more patience now :)

So here is the latest update!

I built the cockpit components and the pilot and painted them. I dont have the exact colours, so its a bit of a custom build.

Next i pre-shaded the panel lines on the fuselage. I used vallejo pigments mixed with water and a bit of soap. Dont know if this will work...

This is the pilot painted up, i dont have flesh paint, getting it tomorrow probably...

I did some of the fuselage and wings with the airbrush, but it died half way and i could not get it working. Defenetly getting a real airbrush soon!

Cockpit assembled into left half of the fuselage, now to glue the basic shell of the spitfire!

Im going to secure this and leave it overnight :)

More updates tomorrow!

Cheers!

Hey guys, ive been pretty busy with this kit, and its coming together, sort of. This kit is one of the most difficult aeroplane kits ive ever done. Just getting it to fit together without huge gaps is proving to be quite a challenge.

On the bright side, i found my airbrush! I got this for about 60$ and it works perfectly! I got a few adaptors to make it work with the compressed air cans! But if i decide to get a compressor system, it will work even better i was told. I love the trigger, so much control its just brilliant!

So its a Fimotool DG-30 with a 0.3mm nozzle gravity fed double action airbrush with a 7ml reservoir.

Cheers!

WOW !! Moving right along there huh !! Looking good . And yes ...a compressor IS the way to go ,not least becuase it will save you a fortune on air bottles ,but they do make it soooo much easier with a constant air supply .

Chris.

Hey Bushy,
This is looking good. I sure do like later mark Spitfires and
Mk.22-24s and 47-48s are by far my favs.
Cool beans on the new airbrush and compresser. Look out now.
I will be following right along. Looks good.

Chris S said:
WOW !! Moving right along there huh !! Looking good . And yes ...a compressor IS the way to go ,not least becuase it will save you a fortune on air bottles ,but they do make it soooo much easier with a constant air supply .

Chris.

Man, i wish i was a rich man:) but im gonna need a compressor anyway! im not happy with the results comin from this airbrush, it feels like there is not enough pressure... :( so im in the market for a cheap and quiet solution, if you guys know any internet stores that deliver to EU, im open to all suggestions!

Otherwise i love the new airbrush, im still learning, guess thats why i spent 2 cans of air already:s a compressor is definitely the way to go!

New pics :

Just working on some details, there is still alot to be done and touched up... my models are never finished :S

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ive decided to have one wing open and the engine cover raised as well. still not sure how ill do that, but this is how it is atm.

Thanks!

Here is a weird reaction between the decal and the matt lacquer, i would like to fix this someday - but ive no idea how!
suggestions?

Yeah this is calles Silvering!

NEVER apply decal to a mat surface!

is you have Future(pledge floor polish ) you can make small pin holes and force some in the apply mat coat over it

Neo said:
Yeah this is calles Silvering!

NEVER apply decal to a mat surface!

is you have Future(pledge floor polish ) you can make small pin holes and force some in the apply mat coat over it

so what your saying is that i should have sprayed on gloss coat first, then applied decals and then mat coat...
ill have to remember that!

Thanks!

Hey nice build!
Decals: Paint - do a gloss coat (future) - when dry and covered do decals - then another gloss coat to seal them in - then weathering and flat. The over and under gloss coats helps soften the edges of it and make the clear decal film disappear. The silvering should go way.
Cheers!

Thanks for the tip!
I think i messed up and put on a matt coat on instead of gloss :S so the decal on the bottom side were applied to a matt coat, while the top were applied onto a gloss coat and sealed with matt coat... they look better, but still not perfect!

So ill have to remember: first gloss, then decals, then gloss again and then matt coat!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back