Revell paints

GvendurE

Hi guys I just wantent to put this outh there and se if anybody has any experiens with revell paints.
I am thinking about trying Revell acrilic paints, I have bin using there enamel paints with mixed results butt that might be more my lack of experiens than anything else. But i am trying the acrilics becuse of the fumes from the enemals and the thiners are not my moste favorit smell. And the fact that the acrilics are water based apeals to me, less cemicals around.
And can anybody tell me if it is ok to use bothe enamels and acrilics together on the same model.

If anybody has any experience on this I would be thankfull for your input.

Happy modeling.
Gummi

I dunno anything about revell acrylics (I didn't know they made paints) but acrylic paint is acrylic paint. lol I believe what you want to do is paint over in a pecking order. Acrylic always on top, Lacquer next and then enamel. Never the other way around. If you paint Enamel over an Acrylic base, it'll eat up the acrylic underneath.

I believe that's how it goes from what I read around. I don't know exactly however. I've always used Acrylics. I don't like Lacquer and enamel because it's so messy and thick. That's the best way to describe it for me. I do sometimes use Mr. Base as a base coat and that's lacquer and I really don't like working with it too much.

DreamKnight said:
I dunno anything about revell acrylics (I didn't know they made paints) but acrylic paint is acrylic paint. lol I believe what you want to do is paint over in a pecking order. Acrylic always on top, Lacquer next and then enamel. Never the other way around. If you paint Enamel over an Acrylic base, it'll eat up the acrylic underneath.

I believe that's how it goes from what I read around. I don't know exactly however. I've always used Acrylics. I don't like Lacquer and enamel because it's so messy and thick. That's the best way to describe it for me. I do sometimes use Mr. Base as a base coat and that's lacquer and I really don't like working with it too much.

Blasphemy.....

As long as your previous coat of paint is "CURED", not just dry, but CURED, you can put any kind of paint over any kind of paint, doesn't matter if it is acrylic, lacquer, enamel, whatever.

And acrylic paints are not all the same, so acrylic paint is not necessarily acrylic paint.

Take for instance Tamiya Acrylic and Vallejo Acrylic. Both acrylic paints yes, both can be thinned with water, yes, but they are not the same base. Tamiya is an isopropyl based (alcohol), while Vallejo is a resin base. And like oil and water, they won't mix together. Once cured, you can put either, on top of the other no problem, but you can mix the 2 together. Likewise, if you mixed Tamiya thinner in Vallejo Paint, you will end up with a nice gelled and gooey concoction....and not a good thing when you are airbrushing it.

To be honest, there is no better acrylic model paint on the market than Vallejo, and I am not saying that just because I sell it. I have used it long before I ever opened my shop, and it is bar none, head and shoulders above pretty much anything else out there on the market in the acrylic lines. Lifecolor comes a close second, but is sometimes hard to get.

The one thing about acrylics, you must put down a primer over the plastic to give the acrylic paint (no matter what make you are using) something to bite into . Over bare plastic and resin, you are just asking for it to rub, or flake off.

Well there ya go then! :) I'll start using Valejo paints someday. They don't carry them at the LHS here :/

So if you're saying as long as it's cured it should be ok. Does that mean the same for the type of thinner? I was having trouble with using oil paint wash and it ate right through the Tamiya paint. How long does Tamiya paint take to cure? I left if over night for about 24h. I thought it was the type of thinner I was using.

You can always test things like these on some spare parts or random stuff. That's maybe better than to test it on the real model, just because someone told you, it'll be alright. ;D

I am using those "Revell Aqua Color" paints and am very happy with them. Very nice to work with the brush or the airbrush and the best thing is that they don't smell at all. When you are working in a small room and / or have family, you really want to consider this.

Most acrylics will be dry in an hr, but can take 24-48hrs to cure. Of course temperature and humidity can change that as well.

The problem with a wash, is generally a wash will pool in places, and any time you get that, you run the risk of softening the paint underneath.

General rule is to put down say a coat of future (which in reality is just a clear acrylic). Future also cures alot faster than paint does, as it is what you would call "pure" acrylic, where as an acrylic paint has additives in it (pigment, among other things) that slow the curing. The future is supposed to create a "barrier" between the paint layer and your wash layer, when in reality, the future just cures faster as it doesn't have anything in it (pigment), and the wash doesn't eat through it.

One item that I have seen eat through just about anything is Testors Dullcoat. It is probably one of the more harsh matt coats out there. However, as long as you don't touch the subject while it is wet, the paint and all the layers will stay intact. However still, you take your chances using it.

In my local club, alot of the car guys kept going on about how you "CAN'T" use acrylic paint to paint a car body, because it isn't has hard, or doesn't have the polishing properties like Lacquer or Enamel have.

So I set out to prove to them that you could in fact do that. And painted a car with nothing but acrylic.

IMG_1606-vi.jpg

Not the best picture of it, but it is Vallejo Copper, over a black primer, Future for the top gloss coat, and it has no polishing. Some polishing with some 6000, 8000, and 12000 grit, it would bring the shine out even more.

As elend said, if you are unsure of something.....try it on a piece of scrap before using it in the kit you just spent the last month or more on perfecting it.

If you are looking for Vallejo paint, look no further than the link in my signature.....I have 95% of the Model color line, all of the Panzer Aces line, and I am thinking about getting in the Model Air line (mind you I can bring in any color you want, just don't have the entire line at the moment).

Latest posts

Back