Revell P-61 Black Widow

JohnnyO

Mobilis in mobili
Here are some pictures of my first completed build, the Revell, P-61 Black Widow. This is my first project in probably 15 years, so I'd appreciate and comments or critiques.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, with the exception of the canopy. I'm not particularly happy with that at all. The lines seem messy to me, and there is some overspray from when I was painting the body that really annoys me.

Last edited:
Hi JohnnyO and welcome to SMA. Considering this is your first in 15 years i'd say you did a great job. Yes, the canopy is rough but that's not the end of the world. Next time you'll nail it.

I think it came our very good for your first build in that long. This is also a bear of a kit to build requiring lots of sanding and filling. I wouldn't worry about the overspray on the canopy it is hardly visible in the pictures. It has kind of a vintage look to it.

Great job!

Wow, what a project to take on for your first build in 15 years! I'm impressed! One trick about canopies that I just recently learned, Elmars white glue. It is self leveling and dries hard as a rock, that and you can use windex or water to take off excess. I used it to fill gaps between the canopy and the fuselage on a chopper. Works like a gem, just gotta let it dry.

Looking forward to your next project!

Thanks for the kind words, and the suggestion Re: Elmer's glue, I'll give that a shot on my next project.

I tried to keep this one simple, opting for closed compartments and a simple paint job, I might try something a little more advanced on a future build, but I didn't want to overreach on this one. I'll be updating on my next project over the coming days. I'll also try and get some better pictures next time, all I had was a camera phone this time.

It took 15 years to build that?!?! Lol. Just kidding. Looks great boss!!!

I just finished this one too, and it almost went flying against the wall when I got to the canopy.
I had the same exact issue and it's even worse if you try to put the lid down.
Nice job on yours and glad you made it back to the hobby.

The canopy is perhaps the weakest point on what was otherwise an excellent kit, when it first was issued back in the '70s. Same thing with Monogram's B-29 and its canopy. Combine a poor fit with the brittle clear styrene, and it's a recipe for snapped parts. But it can be a fun build, and I hope you had fun building yours. I've got one in my stash, for a nostalgia build.

I'll second Adam, too, on using Elmer's (or any white glue) for attaching canopies. He's spot on about its gap-filling properties. I used it for precisely that reason on a build of the old Monogram P-51B, to attach the rear canopy windows. Same kind of fit issues as you have here with the Widow's canopy, and the Superfort's greenhouse. I attached the windows, and then gradually filled the gaps around the round edges with white glue. It works like a charm.

Nice work on the P-61, not the easiest kit to put together. But it's a great first finish.

Nice work, mate! It's a large, good-looking bird. A P-61 was one of my first kits getting back into the hobby - I never finished mine and would never show it! What you building next then? :)

AJay said:
Nice work, mate! It's a large, good-looking bird. A P-61 was one of my first kits getting back into the hobby - I never finished mine and would never show it! What you building next then? :)

Thanks for the kind words. After this one, I built an M4A3 Sherman, and a model of the Voyager space probe. They are both on the forums here somewhere, just check my post history.

Currently, I'm working on a Battlestar Galactica Mk II Viper.

Latest posts

Back