Revell/Monogram Kazon Raider

[Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUVvq7XiU4g[/youtube]

Moving swiftly on with my next project, this is the 2nd kit I bought from the toy fair.

The Kazon Raider from Revell/Monogram, this was a bargain at £10 & it was still sealed from 1995 & the guy I bought if from has really looked after it.

All the sprues were still bagged & in really good condition.

I started off with the 2 main hull halves, then the spine & waited for the glue to dry, then came the 2 main rear wings.

Then using my files, I sanded away all the seam lines, did a bit of filling & got ready for primer.

I actually screwed up with the placement of the rear wings, as I had a massive gap to contend with, but then I realised id put the top parts of the wings in the wrong spot & glued them into the correct position on the side of the main hull & the gap that I previously had disappeared.

Once id primered, I then started to paint on the base coat of Humbrol 26 (Khaki Brown) on by hand, each side & underneath, which has gone down really well.

I bought a new primer to try Holts Simoniz which at £3.99 is half the price of Halfords at £7.99, because the guys over at Britmodeller forums had said its a great alternative, so I used that to primer the outer hull parts.

Once dry I painted the inside of the parts so I could glue them to the main hull for painting on the outside later & the paint went down great with no reactions.

Only problem is with the electrical tape I used to hold them down once glued, upon removal the tape lifted a little of the primer off the parts even though they had been dry for 24 hours, but with a little light sanding around the rough edges, ive re-done them.

On the other side, ive decided to use normal household masking tape & hopefully no lifting will re-occur.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Work continues on the Kazon Raider.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCDCc_WnNaE[/youtube]

My apologies for the 4 week gap from part 1, but I have been quite busy with other things & haven't really had chance to do much work on the raider.

Anyways, ive pretty much finished construction apart from the gravaton deflectors which still need to be glued on.

They will be glued on once I get a new set of Humbrol brushes, as the set of artists brushes I bought for £2 from The Works havent worked out as well as id hoped.

I started painting with the No9 Humbrol (Tan), 3 coats on each side (right, left & 2 coats on the underneath), but as each coat went down, my current humbrol colorol brushes (as they are quite old) started to go really tatty, hence me needing a new set.

I then glued the nose to the raised rectangular section underneath, but as I was trying to tape it on with my freehand, whilst holding the nose into place with my other hand, my hand slipped & took the nose with it.

Hastily, putting the nose back into place & finally getting the tape around, I noticed the glue had taken away some of the paint, so I left it for 24 hours for the tape to hold the nose & for the glue to dry.

Taking the tape off, you can see the slight damage, but after a little sanding it has gone.

Gluing the wings into place wasn't difficult, but the one wing has a little more of an angled gap than the other (for some strange reason), but its not a problem.

Then I decided to put the 3rd coat on the underneath, I used one of the new brushes that id bought, but once id finished & washed it out with the water, the brush went all puffy & flimsy, which was useless after just one use.

Then came the plasma collector walls, the one side mounted with no problems, but the other side decided to sit itself on the mounting tab for the gravaton deflectors.

So removing it and re-aligning it below the tab & using some tape to force the small tabs to mount into the holes on the nose, the small crisis was averted.

So using the angled brush I bought from Games Workshop, ive started to paint the nose, but with Hobbycraft having no Humbrol Coloro brushes in stock, ive had to order some from Amazon, which should arrive just after the bank holiday.

Once they arrive, I will be able to paint the small crevises on the gravaton deflectors & glue those into place.

Cheers,

Wayne.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cf7LltuM2k[/youtube]

Its finale time.....

I started by gluing the gravaton deflectors onto the side of the raider, they both went down really well, used a little superglue to help the top edges to hold a little better along with the normal model glue.

I then had a slight gap issue underneath the deflector onto the plasma walls, but I used a little putty to fill the gap in.

Once dried & sanded the putty, I then sanded down a little on where the tape had taken away some of the primer & then painted the brown base coat & the 3 coats of the No9 Humbrol Tan.

Once that dried, I then started detailing.

Anthracite for some of the panels, with some purple, green & gun metal.

Red, green & brown orange for the gravaton deflectors shaped crevices, which took a couple of coats.

With no reference for the belly of the raider, I did some guess work & used the red, purple, green, gun metal & anthracite to pick out some of the detail, it may not be show accurate, but I think it looks good.

The Vallejo game black wash I used to do the weathering, after following the method Randy Cooper on Youtube used to weather his massive Star Destroyer, it didnt go as well for me, so I used the wash neat.

Not bad for my first time, instead of going for a subtle effect, I have gone all party political broadcast all over the raider, which I think has gone down quite well.

Decals were pretty much straight forward, mostly orangey/yellow windows, but I did have an issue with one of the Kazon logos.

Revell had printed one of the logos the wrong way round, so turning it inside out, luckily it was black both sides & I overcame the problem, but it need some glosscote to bring it out & as it dried matt.

All-in-all im really happy on how the raider has turned out.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Latest posts

Back