Revell Battlestar Galactica - the new one

BLT

Hello guys

I've had this for some time now. I WAS going to just build it out of the box, but it has some flaws I just can't live with.

The angles of the engines for one, the hight of the 'jaw'... And finally the the armor plates, especially where they meet the ribs, and the way the molding was done, it gives the plating an extruded look. The thickness of the edges into the flight pods. The curves on all the edges of the ribs where they meet at extreme angles... And more.

So, I've worked on this thing on and off, put it away for a long time... But it's a Battlestar, and it deserves to be build.

IMG_20200705_222501.jpgIMG_20200712_135203.jpgIMG_20200712_135229.jpgIMG_20200705_222517.jpgIMG_20211019_232115.jpg

Last edited:
First and probably the biggest issue... The armor plating looks ekstruded because of the way this thing was cast. They don't at all look like they're attached on top of the ribs, like in the show. The plates on the side of the forward section are extremely bad.

What baffles me is that the plating on the engines looks just fine.

So do u re build the plating? That would seem the easiest solution. If there where any ribs, which you technically could optain by simply removing the some of the plating and leaving material to simulate ribs. But that would leave holes between the ribs, due to the way the model is made.

Second solution is to scrape, drill, scratch, melt the material at the edges of the plating, between the ribs. Like I've started doing in one of the above images. Doesn't really work for me.

Last solution is to rebuild the ribs. Meaning cutting the plating free and cleaning it up. So I cleaned up the armor on the forward section,... Bridge?! I actually seem to remember that this thing had a CIC in the middle of the ship, not a bridge on top and in the front, like the original design. Anyway, I'm rambling.

IMG_20211020_170046.jpg

I'm still debating whether to scratch the sides or just clean em up and add the missing ribbing above, I'll have to remove everything accept the ribs, så mayby it'll be easier to just start from scratch.

IMG_20211020_170704.jpg

What do you guys think?

Reinforcing the connection between the forward section and the main hull.
IMG_20211023_180930.jpg

I'll have to buy some eboxy or something, to make sure to get a good bond.
IMG_20211023_231909.jpg

Securing the landingbay arms
IMG_20211023_180902.jpg

The more I look at this, the more I'm thinking I wanna try to light it.

Only thing tricky would be the engine pods, I already glued those...

But then again, if it'd be easy it wouldn't be any fun.

Lots and lots of sanding...

In most of the cases it'll be easier to just sand away the entire panel and replace it, on the front section tho it would require a rebuild of all the ribs.

Not today...

IMG_20211024_165255.jpg

I do however think the forward section is the most tricky part... Unfortunately also the most iconic part, so I'll certainly have to put a lot of effort into the part.

Why sand anyway? Well the detail is rather crude and way too pronaunced considering the scale of this thing.

The detail on the landing pods is very simple, and honestly it'll be a lot easier to just sand it away. Sadly the pods are missing 2 ribs as well. There should be 49, but there are only 47.

So... I'm faced with a decision, keep the ribs and o ly replace the plating... Or sand the entire thing down and rebuild ribs and plating.
IMG_20211024_165313.jpg

Thank God for the Zoic renders
IMG_20211024_165323.jpg

Since I'm already butting way too much work into this, I'll start researching some lighting for this thing. Might as well go all in now.

Thanks for looking.

Latest posts

Back