Revell 1/72 P-39

the Baron

Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
OK, here's the last one that I finished, during the forum's dark time.

This is the old Revell P-39 Airacobra in 1/72. Simple kit, older than I am, I think. This time, I had volunteered to do a demo on applying decals, and I grabbed this kit to finish it up to the point of apply decals. It was a fast build, completed over a couple of evenings. I packed 5 or 6 BBs in the nose, held in place with some Apoxie Sculpt, to keep it from sitting on its nose.

1-Finished-starboard.jpg

During my demo, I got the opportunity to show what happens with 60-year-old decals, when some of them wouldn't lift off the backing paper. The national markings cooperated, but the "66" on the nose wouldn't. The serial number shattered. That led me to offer the tip to accumulate a stash of spares that will help in such situations. The serials came from another kit, and the "66" came from a model railroad sheet.

2-Finished-port.jpg

In that second shot, you can see one of the features of the kit-Revell included an engine, with a removable panel to show it off. Hey-back in 1964, that was cool!

The kit shows its age, but again, I had fun building it, and that's the most important thing.

Thanks for looking!

old kits are fun sometimes.

Yes, I agree! I have a stash of old 1/72 kits, for quick builds, as well as to round out my build themes (like "USN yellow wings", "WWII Italian fighters", and so on).

Latest posts

Back