Revell 1/48 Lunar Module

Here is the EVA antenna. I pulled some sprue to make some ultra-fine rods, turned one into a ring and glued each piece carefully together. It's quite tiny in the end but better than the piece Revell provided.

IMG_1636.jpg
IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg

Well, you certainly don't "Half-ass" anything.
This project just keeps getting more an more impressive!
;D

Finished the antennae and the docking alignment target (all scratch-built). Moving on to the smaller details like vents and oddball fibreglass bits and pieces.

IMG_1646.jpg
IMG_1647.jpg

The EVA antenna looks Great Jim! You do a wonderful job with stretched sprue!
The two VHF antennae look great too!
What didja use to wrap the antennae, the 'goldish' tape, that is. Is it self adhesive tape or is it tape at all.

This is gonna be a show stopper ... will this get entered into shows, or do you already have a buyer for it?

Thanks. I think the EVA antenna is a dash too long but I can live with it for now.

The goldish bands on the antenna supports is Kapton tape. I bought a roll for $3 on ebay and sliced it into super thin strips and very carefully wrapped it on the antenna masts and on the legs. It's also all over the decent stage here and there. It starts out transparent yellow but as you wrap it around several times it quickly becomes amber. I think they make different thicknesses of the stuff. I don't know what thickness I have but it's likely the thinnest they make.

If there is another SMA spring contest I'll enter it then but no other plans for it. No buyers. I think I want this around so I can stare at it for a while, then who knows?

Back on to the descent section now. I'm applying foil to the area closest to the descent engine. I marked the area into quadrants and then press the foil onto the area to get a faint impression. Then I just trim the foil and press it into place (it's self-adhesive).

IMG_1659.jpg
IMG_1660.jpg
IMG_1661.jpg
IMG_1662.jpg

Then added the engine bell itself...

IMG_1663.jpg

Then into my box of smaller bits to get the newly rebuild landing radar and heat shield.

IMG_1664.jpg
IMG_1665.jpg
IMG_1670.jpg

Nice!!

Is that foil the same stuff you would get for working on ducts? If so I use it when lighting up a model....

Latest posts

Back