Revell 1:48 Do 335-V10 Night Fighter

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
Thought I'd better pick something quick. ??? I had wanted to build the Ho 229, or the Kyūshū J7W1 Shinden, but Ken and Charlie beat me to the punch in both cases. :'(

Jason

Just wanted to share some info on this kit before I start building next week.

Here's the box art;
revell-dornier-do335-arrow-combat-aircraft.jpg

I've attached a picture of the kit sprues below. The panel lines are raised (the kit is marked with the 1974 release date). But the parts generally look good, I noticed flash only really in a few minor spots.

The instructions are printed as a 12 page letter sized booklet, and can be found at the below attached link;
http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-5858.pdf

I'll be building the night fighter version. It had a crew of two and a distinctive "humped" second cockpit. Looks kind of like this;
Do335_Vorbild_03.jpg
cutaway-dornier-arrow.gif

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cool , nice one Jason . Are you going to rescribe the panel lines ,or just go with it ? ...either way ,should be a good un :)

Chris.

Thanks guys. I've a bunch of German late war and Luft '46 stuff in the stash at home - and I wanted to pick something that I think should be a fun quick build - but I have said that before...

The other thing is that I have all the paint colours and materials required to build this one OOB - so it should be easy on my (decimated) hobby budget.

Chris S said:
Are you going to rescribe the panel lines ,or just go with it ?

Because I don't want to get to bogged down re-scribing all the raised panel lines, I'm planning to leave 'em raised. I'll do the prime black, paint camo, and then sand back to reveal the panel line thing (just like I did on my 1:72 HE 219).

Really looking forward to starting this one. Might even do a video build log.

Jason

September 1, 2012 came and here's what I've gotten done;

Jason,
I think you will like this very much. I built this a while
back as a kid. I just remember wing root gaps, nothing
really to get in the way.

Thanks for the positive comments guys, and the heads up on the wing roots Peppylepugh.

My wonderful wife gave me the entire afternoon to build some models at my bench. Spent most of the time working on the 335. The cockpits have been rough painted, I noticed some areas that I would like to touch up after taking the macro photos. I more or less followed the Tamiya instructions, online photos, and the Monogram Profile book on the 335 for the front cockpit. The back station, I was at a loss, so I painted it up like(ish) the (very basic) kit instructions.

I think the cockpits look not to bad in person...the front one is only about 2" long, and the rear one about 1.5".

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome.

Jason

Thanks John, Andrei and, Ferris. :)

I'm having a great time with this build. So far no major hiccups - not bad for a mold that was originally released in 1974.

Today I washed the cockpits today with a mix of Vallejo burnt umber and black washes (73203 and 73201). I followed that up with a few swipes from a silver pencil. Then I assembled the fuselage halves. The pictures show a test fit with the lower wing half...

Thanks for looking. Comments are always very appreciated.

Jason

Thanks Andrei383. :)
I think it looks better too.

Earlier I put in a nose weight. Now I'm just doing some cut and glue type work to the subassemblies.

Jason

Most of the larger subassemblies are glued together - so I thought I would heed Peppylepughs warning about the wing roots and do a little test fitting before I actually commit to gluing things into their final locations. I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing - I think I can close most of the gaps by carefully applying pressure to properly align the parts as I glue them.

Remember that this is from a mold released in 1974.

Jason

Thanks Ferris.

A quick update today.

I managed to get everything glued together over the weekend. I tried to get the seams to line up as best as I could - but I still have some trouble spots. I've begun to do the seam work; puttying and sanding.

During the filling and sanding I've also lost some of the panel lines and fastener marks I was originally hoping to save. I'm not sure, I might re-scribe now. It will depend on the number of panel lines I obliterate during the seam work...

Thanks for following along. Comments always welcome.

Jason

Latest posts

Back