Revell 1/350 Uboot

welcometolilliput said:
Congratulations that is a great diorama. I also liked the splashing water effects, but perhaps the waves could be a bit smaller than that. But it looks really good overall. Cheers! Ali.

www.welcometolilliput.com

Thank you...as i wrote it's my first dio...and i need to learn how to make the wave/sea more realistic..
I am open for all advices :)

Levo,
I agree with welcometolilliput.
The only problems I see with this are the size of the waves, and maybe the water being too blue.
Of course, they could be traveling in rough seas....

Quaralane said:
Levo,
I agree with welcometolilliput.
The only problems I see with this are the size of the waves, and maybe the water being too blue.
Of course, they could be traveling in rough seas....
Thank you...
I saw a picture year ago...(which is attached)..i thought i can make one this...
And ı know it's not the best but with your help and advices i can make it better

[attachment deleted by admin]

rookie said:
Nice job Levo, is that silicone you used for the waves ?
Yes...and thank you
it's clear Silicone...i mix it with revell blue color (forgot the number ...sorry) then applied on the surface..
The damn thing dry so fast it was almost not possible to work :)

Who let the poseidon out?

It is ocean there can be bigger waves then that i belive.

Good job levo.

Cash said:
Who let the poseidon out?

It is ocean there can be bigger waves then that i belive.

Good job levo.
danimal518 said:
That looks awesome. When I saw it, I just assumed they were rough waters.

Thank you...

Hello, levo!
After adding the silicone you should smooth it over using vinegar concentrate. It make the sicione unsticky so you don't pull upstrands wherever you touch it.
This water is 3mm Silicone over a painted surface:

Pro_32.jpg

Other seascapes can be modeled using Acrylic gels from the art supplies shop.

148983_10200358483155354_1163044703_n_zpsf59595bc.jpg

"The Art of making water": Onethousandandone possibilities.

I'll be putting my Graf Spee into a sea display as soon as my arm is out is out of its cast. I'll be using a modified aluminum foil method. I hope you drop in and visit me.

Cheers,
Guido

My friend....your works are very very nice....
Please teach me how you make this water effects...
I liked the pic with the U-Boot Type VII D...

Hello, again!
Unfortunately I had not taken any step-by-step pictures of building the seascape for the VIID.
So a bit of text will have to suffice.

The vessel is set in a 2" deep sea of styrofoam. The waves were first cut from the block using a rotary steel brush on a dremel. A hull cut-out in the sea bed followed to take the hull in later on. The roughly shaped sea-surface was levelled using plaster first then Acrylic gel for finer structures. The water was painted using artists acrylics starting black with continuously lighter shades of green toward the boat and the crests of the waves. Extensive dry-brushing using light grey and white finished the colouring off. The ready-assembled, painted and weathered boat (devoid any detail that might break off) was wrapped in cellophane foil. Now, the hull was inserted into the seascape. The voids along the hull were filled first pouring plaster followed by white and transparent acrylic gel. When all was dry the cellophane was cut away. Some of the foil was used to shape wave-wash around the boat. More acrylic gels, white and transparent, were used for finer fitting, wash and wave shaping. The water running down the sides of the bow are created by adding multiple layer of white and clear acrylic gel. After U-217 was fitted into her surroundings, washes and dry brushing were used to blend the immediate area around the boat into the surrounding seascape. Only then the details such as handrails, antennae and wintergarten were put into place. Before adding the rigging from stretched sprue, the boat received an uneven wash of Future to create a “wet” effect.

u217-08_zpsb0d926d4.jpg

u217-04_zps4d650845.jpg

I hope this gives you and idea about the method I used here. I'll make sure to take step-by-step pictures the next time around.

Cheers,
Guido

Latest posts

Back