Revell 1/350 U.S.S. Iwo Jima

eightfooticeman

Man that is one cool kit. I will keep my eye out, but will need to be looking for two it appears, as now I want one too! :eek:

Hi. What is in the "platinum" edition thats not in the reg version?

If you want a regular Iwo Jima (with enough cash left over to buy the whole MK1 pe set) I know where you can buy one retail for $90 + shipping. (shipping is about $40) Its from China though...don't know if that would make a diff for you...

That MK1 pe set for Iwo Jima is highly recommended and is about $75. I have seen both the etch from the kit (3 sheets) and the MK1 set (4 sheets) and there is no comparison in the quality. The MK1 set is vastly superior to the pe included in the kit.

You can pm me for link to the Trumpeter/MRC 1/350 Iwo Jima for $89 + shipping. Cheers.

The thing with this kit is that it isn't a Revell Germany manufactured kit. The whole "Platinum Edition" is just a marketing ploy.

The kit is a co-operation between a few different companies.

Kit is manufactured by Trumpeter, as well as distributed in Asia by Trumpeter in a Trumpeter box.

The kit is then re-boxed for the North American marketed by Gallery Models, and distributed by MRC (Model Rectifier Corporation), and is the exact same kit, even down to the Trumpeter instructions.

For Europe, the kit is re-boxed in a Revell Germany box, and distributed by Revell Germany. Same kit, only thing they did differently was to mask that it is a Trumpeter kit by including Revell Germany instructions instead of the Trumpeter instructions.

All the same kit, just different boxings for different parts of the world.

The Gallery model retails for about $269 here in North America.

Thanks for the info, I can stop pulling my hair out now looking for this thing . Does the gallery model come with the photo etch parts as well? I have never built a ship model or used photo etch, so I figured I could give them both a try at the same time.

Thanks again,

It does, as I said above, the whole "Platinum Edition" is just a marketing ploy, same kit and parts in all 3 boxings of the kit.

If you don't have to have the Iwo Jima, have a look for the USS Wasp, same ship, just earlier in the class, you might find it for a few bucks cheaper than the Iwo Jima is, just because the Wasp is an older kit. However just because it is older, doesn't mean much as it is basically the same kit.

There are a few differences in each of the ships, even on the real ones, but that is normal anyway, and there really isn't that much difference between the 2 kits.

Latest posts

Back