Revell 1:24 Ferrari 599 GTO

gregfrank

For my entry into the BSC I am making Revell's Ferrari 599 GTO in 1:24 scale.

Here is my entry pic.

DSC_0026_zpsff6f42c3.jpg

First thing I did was strip the chrome off of the wheels. The wheels of the actual are are more of a graphite color which is even shown on the box art so I don't know why they chromed them.

DSC_0027_zpsa73a7916.jpg

Painted

DSC_0029_zpsed812c25.jpg

With tires

DSC_0036_zps26976cb2.jpg

I have the block, rear end, exhaust, and intake primed. I'll have to wait until it warms up a bit here in MI to spray my lacquer metalizers, so for now all I could do is paint the intake and heads.

From the front

DSC_0034_zpseb71b423.jpg

the side

DSC_0032_zpsaf395d5f.jpg

I have the seats together but don't have any pics yet. Hoping to have the cabin together by next Sunday.

Great looking kit!!! You are off the a nice start there!! Kepp it coming!! ;)

Mid week update. I haven't gotten too much done overall. Spending most of my time cutting, cleaning, and getting parts ready for paint. The main body has a few dips in it that I'll need to fill with bondo before priming. Other than that she's coming together pretty nicely.

Dry fit of the interior in the body and the body on the chassis.

DSC_0039_zps984ff28e.jpg

Overhead

DSC_0040_zpsd61ac545.jpg

It fits together quite nicely. When the time comes to put it all together it seems like it shouldn't be bad at all.

I've also made new springs for the suspension. On the actual car it's a yellow coil over a black shock, and with the molded kit detail there was no way to do that and have it look good. I've also drilled out the brake disks with a pin vise for that bit of added realism.

DSC_0042_zps937385e5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Finally found some time to work on the Ferrari. Filled all the pits and nicks in the body using Bondo. It's my first time using it, and I must say that I found it much more manageable than squadron putty. Anyway I've primed everything and I think she's looking good even if she is in all sky grey at the moment.

I've been trying very hard to keep these coats as light and thin as possible to keep the body smooth. It looks good to me but this is also my first time building a car without using rattle cans so what do I know. Anyway, here are some pics!

DSC_0056_zpsf8827798.jpg

DSC_0057_zpse8cea287.jpg

DSC_0058_zpse249fc90.jpg

DSC_0059_zps3266be6e.jpg

With the hood

DSC_0060_zpsa3655b0c.jpg

and rear bumper

DSC_0061_zpsbabd91cc.jpg

Thanks for looking!

TRM said:
Looking clean...nice and smooth!!!! ;)

Thanks you TRM!

I'm trying to avoid sanding by keeping the paint really thin and using a low pressure, and then going over it 7 or 8 times. I had to sand the body quite a bit before priming due to and excess of mold lines. The detail and panels are very fine and I'm trying to make sure they all sick around.

My current idea is to spray Tamiya Flat Red on the body and then give it a few coats of future to gloss it up. The reason I'm mot using gloss red it because I've never been able to spray it without it orange peeling on me. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Definitely looking smooth.
I like your idea of using the flats for the base, then building up the gloss from there

gregfrank said:
TRM said:
Looking clean...nice and smooth!!!! ;)

Thanks you TRM!

I'm trying to avoid sanding by keeping the paint really thin and using a low pressure, and then going over it 7 or 8 times. I had to sand the body quite a bit before priming due to and excess of mold lines. The detail and panels are very fine and I'm trying to make sure they all sick around.

My current idea is to spray Tamiya Flat Red on the body and then give it a few coats of future to gloss it up. The reason I'm mot using gloss red it because I've never been able to spray it without it orange peeling on me. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

I have had the same problem and instead of your path, I just went with rattle can. Glad to see it isn't just me that has had that problem with Tamiya gloss red.

I finally had time and nice enough weather to spray my metalizers this weekend. I then spent time adding wires and hoses to the motor and I got a few other colors sprayed down.

This is the motor with the metallic paint and the air intake painted
DSC_0063_zpsc9b70158.jpg

I then painted the engine compartment
DSC_0064_zpsd2dd62f5.jpg

Stated to add wiring and hoses to the motor
DSC_0070_zps5ec47ad1.jpg

I then added the vacuum hoses the the intake
DSC_0068_zpsbe02de13.jpg

Painted the drive train and gearbox, accenting the rear axle with semigloss black
DSC_0071_zpsee570fec.jpg

The entire power-train set up on the chassis
DSC_0074_zps8c0252d3.jpg

With the body on after I painted the fluid caps
DSC_0075_zpsf9742c78.jpg

DSC_0076_zps4b4e5bde.jpg

Hoping to get the suspension, wheel wells, headlights, and taillights done this next weekend. Thank you for looking!

Sorry for the long break! Whew! I got a lot done this weekend although it may not seem like it in the pictures (at least not to me). First off, Thanks Quaralane and Grendels for your comments, everyone is their own hardest critic, and a lot of things on this build have not gone as well as I had hoped, so truly, thank you!

On to what I actually did. The only things I have left to paint are the body, roof, brakes, engine compartment, and the floor and center console of the interior. I spent most of my time this week on the interior, and I must say I'm pretty happy with it, specially since hand brushing is not my strong suit.

Here's the entire finished dashboard.

DSC_0077_zpsdca6cbe8.jpg

The two toned seats, which were a much bigger pain than I could have ever imagined. Especially that embroidered Ferrari symbol on the headrests.

DSC_0078_zps1fdbfb95.jpg

I still have to finish the detail on the decklid behind the seats. The straps and buckles are tan and silver respectively, Yay! more hand painting ::). I know I'll only get better with practice. Also, I really like the seat-belt buckles on the seats. I think they add a little something that hasn't been on most car kits I've built.

DSC_0079_zpsb8b2706f.jpg

I finally finished the suspension, getting the springs on while not scraping the paint of the shocks was a chore but in the end I think they look good.

DSC_0080_zpsc93c5b3e.jpg

I finished the exhaust tips as well this weekend. It was my first time using Alclad chrome lacquer, and I must say I was immensely impressed by the ease of use and the overall results.

DSC_0081_zps68e3330d.jpg

DSC_0082_zps60a9c098.jpg

DSC_0083_zps7767ab52.jpg

Thanks for looking and I'm hoping to get most of it done the week after this one. Thanks to everyone for looking and the comments so far!

Latest posts

Back