revell 1/110 HMS Bounty, -wip

StyreneStylist

decided to try a ship for something different!
I picked up a few of these old revell kit to get started with. first up is the Bounty.

qosg1z.jpg

2hzp9pd.jpg

116rvk0.jpg

1vwy1.jpg

2j0azwo.jpg

j7ageu.jpg

some initial weathering on the copper, used gun blue sprayed on with a mist sprayer, will add the green colors with oils at the end of the build.

rr6wba.jpg

2jcty1l.jpg

hwifz4.jpg

got paint on her, I airbrushed it with craft acrylics, on the wood parts I used oils over a tan craft paint. sealed everything with liquitex flat varnish, also painted one of the little crew guys

ae4mco.jpg

s5h6ht.jpg

6f4cpf.jpg

24cv4oh.jpg

wbbgcz.jpg

15fkak0.jpg

k3n61u.jpg

Wow ;D very nice , Stylist .

It's cool to see an old kit like that treated so beautifully .
What's the story on the metallic tape ? It fit the kit's planking exactly ? How thick is it and what's it made of ? :)

Thanks!
The tape is what's recommend from all the ship builder guys, it is real copper, same as what the real ships had on the bottom of the hulls, this kit is incorrect having molded on wood planks instead of copper plates.
The tape happened to be the same width as the planks, ideally you would sand them all off and cut the tape into individual tiles and apply one at a time, but I didn't bother with all that lol just stuck it over top and think it looks fine in this small scale. The weathering should fool the eye enough not to see the planking so much in the end.

Cool .
Pretty good adhesion with the tape ? You can safely use oils and their thinner on it I suppose ?

All your paint-work looks fantastic ! be tuning in for more .

Cheers

Yeah it sticks good, it's like bare metal foil, just a tiny bit thicker. This is already buried under 4 layers of clear coat during the painting process lol so it's permanently on there.

;D

What does that squid look like up closer ? He crews that thing all alone ? :D

I don't know if you are done with the weathering on the hull copper , but you got me wondering what that stuff looks like in service . If it's that blonde .

First I Google Imaged HMS Bounty ..... :p :p :p There's all kinda incarnations of it , most without the plating .
So I Googled up " copper plated hull " . . . I still don't know ??? ??? ::)

Sexy :

IMG0029_boat_hull.jpg

thanks!

the copper bottoms end up looking like this, or worse depending how long its in the water.
View attachment

I got some more parts painted, I wanted the masts to be a lighter color than the rest of the wood like an oak looking color so I painted them with flesh craft paint then went over with raw umber oils and some paynes grey to make shadows

also went with a bronze figure head, it shows the nice detail in it better than painting it i think

rabus0.jpg

30mquyc.jpg

ao1cmu.jpg

2i6l0cw.jpg

ibfn6o.jpg

That looks so good . -- I'm sure it's miles ahead of anything on the box-art ;)

On that dry-dock photo , where does the copper plate stop ?

It stops right at the red stripe that's painted on, they cut each plate to follow the water line

The box art is actually nice since it's like an artist painting lol.

Latest posts

Back