Resin Shipyard's 1/350 HMCS St. Laurent

ComfortablyNumb

Reaction score
The Canadian Navy's HMCS St. Laurent was the first warship entirely designed and built in Canada. A great success, the St Laurent series numbered seven and were dubbed "The Cadillac of Destroyers". Please find below my short buildlog of Resin Shipyard's model of this beautiful ship.

contents (after pour plug removed from hull). pe and decals are excellent quality, decals by Cartograf

shafts from aluminum rod

attaching sonar and fin keels, mounting holes drilled

upgrading limbo mortar tubes

props: from flat pe

aerial lookouts

rol'd and fol'd

paint

binoculars with seat

actual size

some other parts cleaned up for paint

cable/hose reels:

starting painting for plimsoll line

adding 1/8" tape to form line

3" 50's
brass barrels to be cut to length

shaping the gun's small radar dish

using piece of spare sprue and round end of paint brush to form dish from flat

oops, in checking my reference, I see I need to reposition the pe on the 40's...

upgrading the nav lights, used some spare clear spru left over from Nagato

dab of paint on flat sides and then a quick dunk in Future

smallest radar

ready for addition of horn

making fuel hoses for attachment to funnel

painted and attached

SPS-12

3 ready for paint

I'd like to thank Scott from Elm City Hobbies for his invaluable help and suggestions so far and Darren of RS for his time in answering my questions. Comments and suggestions, as always, are most welcome. Thanks for viewing! Tim

geegad

Reaction score
good god thats some tiny parts you've got there making my eyes sore just looking at them...and loving what you've done so far buddy +

Elm City Hobbies

Reaction score
And I thought I wanted to do the 1/700 Halifax....damn those are some tiny parts. Looking very good though!!!

ComfortablyNumb

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments you guys, its appreciated for sure! Been spending a fair amount of time doing the deck paint ...

masking off areas (all vertical surfaces plus some of the deck) that are to remain light gray

shooting the dark gray

removing masking tape (and holding my breath, praying...)

next up -(another) coat of Future and hull decals. Thx for looking!

Tailor

**ck 'em, if they can't take a joke!
Reaction score
Cracking good job, man!
Really love it!
Bravo Zulu!

Subhuman1

Reaction score
Good god! I would be afraid of inhaling some of those pe parts! Forget about the carpet monster. Awesome work, can't wait to see it finished. And thanks for keeping the lighter and such in the shots, it really helps to reinforce just how tiny those bits are.

Here's hoping you don't suffer a sneezing fit the next time you sit at the bench :)

ComfortablyNumb

Reaction score
Thanks guys ...and subhuman, lol yes some of those parts are inhalable, can't have any windows open in the workshop while working on them...the slightest breeze and some parts just seem to evaporate :)

Anyway, here's some more progress: I have the platform that the radars are situated on mostly done... here's how the platform is shaping up so far:

most of the parts cut and filed

clamping parts to facilitate assembly

folded

first level assembled and glued

adding cross-members and supports

second level deck

adding resin posts between levels and brass rear support

almost done

radars and platform ready for paint (I am painting the platform and radars separately as I want to apply a semi-gloss to the radars while leaving the platform flat)

Thanks for looking and as always, comments and suggestions are welcome. Cheers! Tim

bdr65

" Ouch, Cut me finger again "
Reaction score
Nice lookin build so far. But man all that PE looks kinda daunting...... :)

ComfortablyNumb

Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words gentlemen, they are appreciated! Small update:

radar tower: painted and radars attached

(still need to add 3 sets of railings to complete platform)

(tiny) nameplates painted to be attached onto ship's upper hull, near stern, both sides

Started installing the decals (bridge windows, hull numbers, etc)...pics later tomorrow. Thx for looking! -Tim

ComfortablyNumb

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, they are always appreciated!

Have added more detail to St. Laurent, just have the utility boats, antennas, cable reels and railings left to do.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome. Thanks for viewing my post! -Tim

longlance67

cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war -shakespear
Reaction score
Looking very good, the failings look great, cant wait to give them a go on my build lol

hope you get her done in time for the comp

good work,

shane.

ComfortablyNumb

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the comments. RT: the kit was $165 and it is for the most part VERY well done. The pe is exceptional in fit as you can see and Resin Shipyard and its owner Darren are the best I've ever dealt with. You will find it a fun build, especially if you like working with photo etch. Its also a very graceful ship in appearance with yacht type lines...a makes a gorgeous model. Go for it. Nobody ever regretted buying quality.

In looking at the recent pics, I thought the kit parts for the black and white antennas were slightly thick in appearance, so I hauled them out and replaced them with guitar string. They are painted in the pics and appear to be about half the diameter of the kit (.020 brass rod) ones.

These will work look more to scale I think.

So while I have the antennas painted and waiting for them to cure a little, I added the util boats, rear gun deck antenna and bow railings.

Thanks for viewing :)
Tim

ComfortablyNumb

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

All antennas and railings finished! We're done.

Thx to all who have commented! Cheers!

Latest posts