A long long time ago..... I made two Y-wings. So it was time to make a complete overhaul on them. This is what they looked like before.
Lucky the pictures are also very bad, so you do not see the terrible paint job.
So I started with spraying the models with Humbrol 28 Matt, and then with a coat of Tamiya XF-2 Flat white. (I should have added a gloss coat of paint after this)
Then I painted the details
Yellow decals - Humbrol Matt 154 Yellow
Blue cockpit and engine parts - Humbral 98 Matt Dark blue
Copper parts - Revell 93 copper
Green details - mix of Humbral Satin white 130 with Revell 39 matt green
Silver R2 - Used a silver paint marker (edding 750)
Red R2 parts - Humbrol Matt 60 Red
White R2 Lower part - Humbral Satin white 130
Then I used Tamya Panel line accent color black for the details. Here I should have used the clear coat, because the panel line paint was absorbed in the white tamyia paint. (my bad)
But we are not done yet. Because the detail of these old models is nothing compared to the new Bandai once, I wanted to blow one up. So I printed Death Star Tiles and made a nice diorama.
To make the explosion I used plastic cup (diameter 2 cm and 3.5 cm high). Put a bright LED in it and painted the inside yellow. The I put cotton on the outside using hot glue to stick it on. Then painted it black and red. Giving a very nice result (first time I used this method, and now I want to blow up more stuff). I also up a pink LED in one of the engines of the Y-Wing
This is the final result of one of the Y-Wings (still need to do the other one)
The switch for turning on and off the lights in in the right bottom corner tile. in the round part (nicely hidden from view)