Rafale 1/48

Well managed to do a few hours this morning and a few after work tonight..
end results of a days work..

Unfortunately one sprue has not been well made and a lot of the detail is missing on it.. its the one with the less well pronounced and painted seatbelts.. will be a recuring problem in the build... but they are by FAR the most "detailed" (painted) seats i've ever done..
Will give them a few days too "cool off" then go back and give them another look with fresh eyes..

I dont have any PE or extras for this build...

[attachment deleted by admin]

absolutely no doubts.. its the best cockpit I've ever done..

Sure others can do better.. but I'm getting a lot out of this.. never done any post shading untill today... or giving the seats etc the "used look" or spent so much time getting the right color for the right button in the right place using reference photos (for it later to all be hidden..........)

I'm gonna be happy at the end of this even if its the worst entry of the competition.

Looks good so far.
I don´t think this is gonna be the worst entry of the competition, the Rafale looks too cool ;D

Good choice. I love the lines on this bird, and I love watching it fly. You're doing great so far, keep up the good work.

A wee update I think..
Been doing it little by little... pausing to film an advert, flying rc planes and general entertaining of a 2 year old...

so pretty much getting close to getting some primer on!
The canopy is completed and the HUD has its clear green paint on it.. just as the original.
armourments are not far off... need some detailing and so on.. they look too bare as they are. Must admit I LOVE the cruise misile with its moving wings!! ;D
Undercarriage isnt far off... again just some minor tweaking here and there.

The wing-fuselage join has been a real pain in the backside.. it was as if the wing was too thin for the body.. so i've had to use putty and sculpt the join... another first for me. Not sure if i'm happy enough with it to get the primer on just yet... but again its getting close.

Photos!

yeah they USED to cause me a lot of stress.. now they dont.. I saw a youtube video recently with an easy solution which worked out great for me.
with 3mm tamiya tape I mask the edges of the "straight bits" then larger tape to fill in the hole. Then at the corners I use humbrol maskol latex stuff....

And thats it! It worked out simple and painless..

After removing there always seems to be a little left over on the canopy but using a toothpick to gently rub it away prooved painless.

Thats the one!!! yeah it worked for me.. was by far the best results with the easiest solution...
best part about it is obviously you get a 2nd chance with the tape before you paint.

Latest posts

Back