Quitting

ScarredKustoms

Whatcha building!?
NO Not quitting modeling. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago after looking at the amount of money I was spending on cigarettes a month I thought that money would be better spent on modeling ;D ;D I just got home from "buying my cigarettes" for the week and came home with 2 bags of new paints ;D ;D

Has anyone else quit anything so they would have more money or time to put towards model building?

Awesome! I quit over 6 months ago. I'm at the point where the smell disgusts me. My wife still smokes.

Keep going, you can do it!

I quit - again - 5 weeks ago. It's going alright although I have cheated a bit. I'm using the patch. I just have to constantly remind myself that there is no 'end' to it - it's like an infinite loop. You're never satisfied and always want another smoke.

My wife and I both quit - she is noticing a difference in the chequing account. I use the odd Tshirt sale I get here to buy supplies.

I wish I never started smoking either! I quit eight years ago - almost nine now. I hate the way it looks, and the way it smells! :mad: I quit for money, and all the reasons not to smoke. It seems like it's a never ending cycle, but that's only if you let it be. I was determined after trying to quit eight times - the last time I just stayed away from people who smoked, and the places that we hung out when we did it. This helped me to psyche myself up for it. I went for walks, and rode a bicycle for two years just to keep my mind off such a filthy habit! Almost all my friends quit smoking now. If you want to - you will. If you don't want to - you won't! remember what Yoda said: "Do, or do not. There is no try." All the people who say they want to quit, don't. All those who quit never say it, they just do it. I didn't say " I want to quit smoking" - I said "I'm going to quit smoking!" I just couldn't decide when. I figured that I was smoking away my youth, my health, and my money. All the best years of my life are now gone forever - I don't want to destroy what's left too! People don't realise that smoking is no more than a choice they made knowing they'd become addicted, they just didn't know how hard.

It's a matter of what quality of life you choose for yourself, and for your children when you make such choices that are destructive - both to the body, and soul. I hate it when I go to the store, and I smell someone who walks by wreaking of death, and cat piss odor! (That's the only way I can describe it) I say "Smoke much?" (Obviously like a chimney) My mom had a guy come to paint her tub (don't ask!) and it chipped after three years, and it needed to be repaired. I stayed there so he could come while she was at work. The companies' owner painted it the first time, then his son came to fix it the last time - he smelled so strong of cigarette odor that her living room stunk for three hours after he showed up! I wouldn't call this guy to paint a dog turd in my back yard after this. Bath tubs aren't made to be painted once coated with baked enamel, or porcelain! This, and the urethane finish he uses are incompatible with the cold, and heat variaces experienced in her house. I don't why you'd want this unless you were reselling your house, and didn't want to spring for a new shower, or tub.

All in all, this is just a nasty, filthy, garbage habit to have, and the tabacco tycoons know it! I once watched a show on the Learning channel (TLC). There was a model that used to pose for Camel ads. He admitted that he knew what it was like before he quit smoking, and couldn't breathe because of his addiction. He said: "One time I went to the factory to discuss a new ad campaign, and noticed NO SMOKING signs everywhere. There were no ashtrays either, not even in the boardroom. I said something about it to the owners, and reps of the company, and their reply was: "Hell no we don't smoke this shit! We reserve the right to sell to the young, the black, the poor, and the stupid"! That should tell you something about the mentality of them all". DON'T SMOKE - if you do, QUIT!! Our state is going to a nationwide ban on it, as it's so widespread, and such a health hazard. Everyone here's sick of it! Let me put a little spin on this whole thing when I was a smoker in the Painters local # 469. We were assigned to paint the Auburn Indiana foundry #2, and we had to wear hazmat type uniforms. We were required to wear respirators too. I removed the plastic from the respirator cartriges, and put them into my 3M respirator mask. I put it on. I couldn't smell anything, except the cigarette smoke our guys blew into the air around us in the room we painted in. When I had the mask on - it smelled like stale peanut butter when I inhaled. Nothing else, not even the M.E.K. that we used to cut our paint with was strong enough to be smelled through it. This is the main ingredient in paint solvents, and it still wasn't nearly as aromatic as the cigarette smoke poison polluting our air! I hate it when I go to a friends' house that smokes (them, not the house), and it smells so bad when I leave that I have to come home to take a shower, and wash all my clothes, and nothing smells, or tastes good for the next twenty four to thirty six hours later!! There's definately something wrong with a product that you have to put in your face, and set fire to! If I told you to go outside, and burn a weed in your yard, and inhale the fumes from it - you'd think I was crazy! It's stupid to put a weed sprayed with all kinds of filty, carcinogenic (cancer causing) chemicals into a piece of paper, then put a tampon in the end of it, then burn it to inhale those chemicals which are known to cause cancer. Stupid really.

~ LC

around october time I gave up coffee from the vending machine at work, probably about £10 per week ...
I stopped friday lunchtime, by saturday afternoon I had a splitting headache and was pretty bad for 10 days or so, quite scary the effect so much caffeine had :eek:

I treated myself by spending about the same on model stuff after seeing SMA on youtube around that time and have been enjoying my spare time since as it's winter 8)

well done to those giving up smoking ;)

I never started....didn't see the point.

Yeah sure when we were younger, we would grab a smoke because we thought it was cool, but it never amounted to anything, and never inhaled.

When I worked in Northern Canada back in the mid 90's, we were partying with some Drs and teachers in the community, I grabbed a smoke from someone, and inhaled for the first time......wow....what a rush!! Was on cloud 9!!

Then a few weeks later at the next party....I did it again....but this time....no head rush, so I was like WTF? What is the point in wasting money on this if I am only ever going to get that rush the one time??

Now if you came and looked at the variety of beer I have in the house....well that is another story for another time! LOL

Elm City Hobbies said:
Now if you came and looked at the variety of beer I have in the house....well that is another story for another time! LOL

I'm with ECH on this one. I've never smoked (my Dad quit over 30 years ago - he says occasionally he still gets a very slight crave for a smoke). But I love to keep the fridge stocked & try different beers. I have a beer cap (made into push pins) collection to keep track of the varieties / brands I've tried.

JMac said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

I'm with ECH on this one. I've never smoked (my Dad quit over 30 years ago - he says occasionally he still gets a very slight crave for a smoke). But I love to keep the fridge stocked & try different beers. I have a beer cap (made into push pins) collection to keep track of the varieties / brands I've tried.

JMac: If I kept one of every beer I have tried, it would cover a whole wall. Living in a small town has slowed this down quite a bit.

I think something might be wrong with me (everyone else, "ya think???")

I don't like beer. Any variety.

I don't mind hard liquors and spirits but beer, forget about it. *puke*

Would I still be considered a smoker or having quit if I only didn't smoke tobacco or cut something else smokeable with tobacco?

Grendels said:
JMac said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

JMac: If I kept one of every beer I have tried, it would cover a whole wall. Living in a small town has slowed this down quite a bit.

LOL. I just keep one from each BRAND, not each individual flavour of beer. Try to support the local small craft breweries and anything I have not tried from out of the country - wish I could get some Garrison Red Ale around here.

I quit smoking 2 years ago, and the money I saved covers the car payment every month. Hasent been easy for me though, I still crave regularly and think about smokiung almost every day, but still I dont smoke. The model stash has about doubled in the last 2 years for some reason. :p

Wow didn't expect this thread to take off like this. Smoking is a nasty habit. I am already starting to smell it on other people. I quit drinking over a year ago when a seizure put me in the hospital for 3 days and I was told I could die if I ever drank again :-\ So now the only bad habit I have is coffee which is only one cup a day. Thank you all for the support. I was just happy that I got to spend some hard earned cash on something that isn't killing me ;D

awesome job bro, yea cigarettes chew up your wallet fast, i hate the smell of cigarettes, if i smoked i would be dead as a dornale... i have asthma, 2nd hand smoke can send me into coughing fits, first hand would be the "Bullet in my radiator" and smoking is one of the biggest turn offs of mine if a girl smokes, i don't want to kiss a ashtray, i want to kiss a beautiful girl. im very sure girls that don't smoke, think the same way about guys.

i slipped up. My wife left her's here at home and I had a couple drags off one.

Just kinda thinking that one every once in a while can't hurt.

:-[

One every once in a while will quickly becomes once a day, then 2, then 3...before you know it you're back to where you were or worse.

I'm speaking from experience.

sigh. Seven months and the cravings start up again as if I just quit yesterday. WTF?

I've heard/read that 3s are bad. Not sure if it's science or superstition.

3rd day, 3rd week, 3rd month etc...

If you refuse it, it will leave again.

I actually bought ... a cpl packs ... after hearing I was going to be a grandfather within the next 9 months. :-X I'm getting back on the wagon though starting today.

Latest posts

Back