Purple Power Question

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
I screwed up the paint on my current build and need to strip and start over. I have somehow avoided having to do this for quite some time. The consensus seems to be that purple power is the way to go. I do have some speaker wire super glued to the model, its a Ma.K kit, will the the purple power eat the wire coating?

It shouldn't, as it doesn't hurt the plastic of the model, but the wire coating would be a different kind of plastic than styrene.

I have my doubts it will hurt it, but if you have some of the wire laying around put a piece in with some purple power to see if it does anything to it.

For anyone who is interested purple power will not eat speaker wire coating. I let my model soak for about 36 hours in the purple power. I had textured the model with Mr. Surfacer 1000, then I primed with Rust-oleum automobile primer, then I sprayed a rust color I mixed up with Vallejo Model Air paints, then a layer of Vallejo Chipping Medium. The purple power took the paint and primer right off with no problem, which is what I needed, it did not, however, touch the Mr. Surfacer, which is not a problem for me, I just need the color coats stripped. If trying to strip Mr. Surfacer, you may need to soak for 3-5 days...

Personally I use Easy-Off Oven Cleaner over Purple Power. Doesn't take as long. Put the parts in a ziploc baggy, spray the Easy-off in the baggy, seal it up and let it set for an hour. All the paint (Enamel, acrylic, primer) will be removed with very little cleanup. Just run the parts under a faucet and you have a totally cleaned piece. It also doesn't effect wire coating or superglue.

Latest posts

Back