Production chrome stripping

I'm sorry - I forgot that there is more than one version. I have the MPC kit. This was the original from 1984 or so.

Yes. I got this as a Christmas present - 1984 or so. I could be wrong but I've had this for so long. Now I need to strip the paint from it and the firewall and redo all these parts. I have to be gentle but in the mean time I have other cars that also need some attention. I have to keep going to get them finished. It's just trying to get everything done at once that makes it harder to stay on task!

Alright counting time this go around. 5/19/22 @0855 EST I've put the super clean in with some parts painted with acrylics by Tamiya airbrused on and GameWorkshops detailed by brush.
PXL_20220519_125336639.jpgPXL_20220519_125500487.jpg
(The other day I knocked my X-Wing off the shelf and broke it, t'was a gift and was pressed in the late 70's... so it was warped beyond actually fitting together on more than one side anyways... probably lent to the breaking... anyways I've got boosters to repurpose now!)

Alright counting time this go around. 5/19/22 @0855 EST I've put the super clean in with some parts painted with acrylics by Tamiya airbrused on and GameWorkshops detailed by brush.
View attachment 91318View attachment 91319
(The other day I knocked my X-Wing off the shelf and broke it, t'was a gift and was pressed in the late 70's... so it was warped beyond actually fitting together on more than one side anyways... probably lent to the breaking... anyways I've got boosters to repurpose now!)
Just under an hour and a half the hand painted pieces are clean, the airbrushed pieces are starting to come clean. They're probably scrubable, but I'm not ready to prep or paint them, so we'll let them soak!

Everything was good on my first check, just needed a bristle brush for the deep grooves in the molds.

HOWEVER, I did also toss this cover in there to remove the super mirror chrome put on it:1653319254452.pngJust looking at it, I guessed it was the same style chrome as model kits. But it had some sort of weird plastic like shell on it. After a day soaking it the walls were clear around the edges, but the top only had a couple of pocks stripped. I sanded it some, finding the weird clear brittle laminate stuff, let it soak for another day, sanded some more, and another two days soaking it is clean and plastic is undamaged.
However, you can see that where the chrome was, the plastic has a different texture/finish. Making me further believe this wasn't done in the standard plamo coating way.
PXL_20220523_152637670.jpg

It's atop the vapor deposition aluminum .
They may have primed the piece with it to improve the appearance of the " chrome " by creating a uniform , smooth surface .

It's atop the vapor deposition aluminum .
They may have primed the piece with it to improve the appearance of the " chrome " by creating a uniform , smooth surface .
Ok, that makes sense. It dissolved slow in the SC, and it kind of sheeted off looking like cellophane. So the SC stuff does seem to work for just about everything, just not always in a matter of minutes :p

Latest posts

Back