Pre mixing paint for airbrush in mass quantities?

SkMitch306

Im airbrushing now still fairly new too the trade but im having great results and loving it! But im kind of getting sick of mixing my paint every time i need to airbrush say three or 4 little pieces at a time. I am currently in the process of trying new build strategies to help curb this personal issue lol but i was also wondering if anyone ever pre mixes one colour with reducer in a separate jar or cup and just draw from that when necessary? No mix jus clean up haha makes me smile inside. In my head it seems logical im just tryna get everyone else's outlook thanks!

Sorry i probably should of said that first haha im using tamiya acrylics with the x20a thinner from tamiya as well?

I would try to have more than 3 or 4 little pieces ready prior to paint, even if it means putting them aside and working out a few other steps to get them ready. You could premix your paint and store it, but you run the chance of it separating or breaking down over time and not giving the best results.

Planning a build where you have the most to paint in a session is good practice, but thinning and storing a paint works too, depending on the paint of course.

I use Vallejo exclusively now and pre-mix and thinning works well with them.

I found cheap squeeze bottles on Ebay, shipped from HK to the US for something around $7 for 50 (including tops and caps). I've got a few different sizes and it's a huge help, especially when I need to blast a head or two. A quick shake, a few drops in the Iwata and done. That's using Vallejo's AB thinner.

One other trick especially with the Vallejo squeeze bottles is to put a single 6mm airsoft BB in each bottle to help a stir the paint, I have NOT had good luck storing paint that I thinned more than a week before, Anymore than that and the paint separates and the water starts to dehydrate out and it loses consistency. I do keep a log of how a mixed a paint for shade and for thinning as it changes between color and manufacture for airbrushing get yourself a notebook and some scrape .010 plastic sheet and makes some notes and spray a color chip on the piece of plastic for reference, I use .010 because you can punch it with a three hole punch and point the color sample in the notebook.

I tend to pre-mix and store in bottles for future use.

As Jeep says though, the mixture will sometimes separate and start to dry out. So before using it I will typically swirl it around in the bottle to re-mix it and check the consistency. If it's getting too thick, I'll add a few drops of water.

It also depends on your temperature/humidity etc. if those environmental variables change it can effect how thin your paint needs to be which is why I tend to mix as required and as mentioned, sort the parts so you get as many parts as you can at once. You can always pencil on unseen parts of pieces or label a skewer used to hold the parts if there a lot of similar.

Latest posts

Back