Polar Lights Bates Motel... first project in a while

TehKeyser

hopefully this is in the right section, but i figured i'd fire off what i've been working on sporadically for the past few months. it's the Polar Lights Rnd. 2 Bates Motel. the first house that i've ever built as i've always gravitated more towards cars and things like that. anyway, all brush painted with Tamiya acrylics and oil washes, still have more than enough on it to do.

anyway, pics

20130504_025633_zpsc3b075f2.jpg
20130504_025712_zps6808a213.jpg

starting on the base, laid down nato brown and started dry brushing buff over it.. by dry brushing i mean grinding a brush into the base to get extra texture and mixing of the paints
20130504_025832_zpsdba721a4.jpg

weathering on the siding/roof and front porch
20130504_025916_zps839431ba.jpg
20130504_025958_zpsc21d7ccc.jpg

haven't glued the roof down yet and not to sure that i'm ultimately going to so i can still get to the interior of the house. still more to do with it like finishing with the banisters/railings and all of that garbage so it's no where near done. any critiques would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for looking

Cool man !
That would make a great dio for a Maschinen Krieger thing .
Put some cannon and fire damage ....LOL .
what does the porch railing look like ?
Like the weathering on the corbels ----don't know about the texture on the vertical trim . looks orangepeely but it may be the resolution .
Keith

it does have that look in the pics. at first i was just trying to convince myself that it was the texture caused by the wash, but oh well. judging from the pics of the house and movie stills that i've snagged, i'm just going to go with the fact that it's supposed to be lead paint and has weathered as such lol.

railings and everything else like that follow suit with a standard victorian era house. getting some fire damage or shelling effects might not be a bad idea after it's finished lol

Yeah --- I could tell it was prettty tiny compared to the paint tins .
LOL , I was guessing 1:90 th .

That's why the texture seems too heavy on the trim ( to me ).
When I first saw photos here and MaschinenKrueger.com I was blown away by the detail , then super blown away when I'd spread my thumb and finger out to gauge how big the piece was in real life .
A lot of the paint/weathering I see looks awesome at ' real scale ' much less at the 1/20 th or 1/32 etc it really is .

so you think the weathering looks heavy handed? the trim around the roof needs to be touched up, realized that after i took the pics but wanted to put something up. i could pick this thing apart all day, but i'm trying not to lol. still need to add some highlights to the top of the spires and things like that, but i will say that the trim along the roof pretty much looks like garbage to me, just have to redo it not after a coffee so i have steadier hands.

I think it's just the texture . At such a small scale an inch is a mile .
With human eyes I don't think it would be as visible as when it's enlarged with the camera of course .
I need to get an airbrush . Getting back into this recently and realizing I can see my brush strokes no matter what when I put a mag glass over it .
I've gotten way better building color with dilute acrylic but it's taking me tooo long .
I've got a 1/72 U-boat ready for hull paint , primed with a rattle can but I don't want brush marks .
I've got a 1/72 S100 that I painted a couple years back that I thought looked pretty smooth but I don't wanna photo it cause the super fine brush strokes are gonna show .... ugh --well it's not finished yet anyway !
It's pouring rain here so a good time to hit some Mak ---Grosser Hund ;D
Keith

makes sense. the camera was held close enough to make it a pseudo macro shot, but i hear you on the brush strokes and not wanting them to show up. i haven't picked up an airbrush yet, and am heavily limited to rattle cans simply because of where i work on these. not to mention that most of the cans that i've dealt with (Testors and other things like that) have little to no consistency and i always end up with runs and things like that.

have you seen the " MaschinenKrueger.Com" website ?
I'd stamp a link but just type that in ....
....you'll need to register to see a lot ....

i checked it out and the models look awesome! i might have searched for them at some point and was turned off simply due to the cost for them though. the post-apocalyptic look of them though looks amazing

Latest posts

Back