Polar Lights 1/1000 NX-01 Refit OOB Review

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
SUPER excited this kit came out. I ordered mine from Starship Modeler on Thursday night and it came in this afternoon and I wasted no time getting into it. It’s amazing how quickly something can go when you choose not to light it. Next time. :)

nxrefit_img_4761.jpg

nxrefit_img_4762.jpg

It’s pretty much the same kit as previously released, with the exception of a couple of new sprues for the refit hull parts and a couple more domes on the clear sprue.

nxrefit_img_4771.jpg

nxrefit_img_4772.jpg

nxrefit_img_4773.jpg

nxrefit_img_4774.jpg

nxrefit_img_4775.jpg

nxrefit_img_4776.jpg

The plastic itself seems a little softer in detail compared to the release from a few years back and there is a little more flash in some areas. The color is a little odd, too.

nxrefit_img_4766.jpg

nxrefit_img_4765.jpg

nxrefit_img_4767.jpg

nxrefit_img_4768.jpg

nxrefit_img_4769.jpg

nxrefit_img_4770.jpg

nxrefit_img_4777.jpg

nxrefit_img_4778.jpg

The main hull has now been retooled so the impulse crystal wing is now a separate piece and there are now plugs to put in the joints if you build the refit version.

nxrefit_img_4763.jpg

nxrefit_img_4764.jpg

The kit is marketed as a Snap-Kit and it pretty much lives up to it. The seams are practically airtight and smooth. The only exception is the joint where the new refit hull piece is supposed to match up with the spot on the lower saucer.

nxrefit_img_4779.jpg

nxrefit_img_4780.jpg

nxrefit_img_4781.jpg

nxrefit_img_4783.jpg

nxrefit_img_4785.jpg

nxrefit_img_4789.jpg

She builds up pretty well.

nxrefit_img_4791.jpg

nxrefit_img_4790.jpg

nxrefit_img_4792.jpg

nxrefit_img_4793.jpg

I have 2 sets of Acreation’s decals so I’ll be using some parts from the spare set for the new refit pieces.

nxrefit_img_4794.jpg

Thanks for sharing this build with us :D

How will you proceed with the aztec paneling for the secondary hull ? That was not done by A-creation, Right ?

No, Acreation didn't do a set (but MIGHT still...). JDecals did a set for the Starcrafts conversion but they would mis-match if I used them. So I have this extra Acreation sheet I'll cut apart carefully to get to fit the secondary hull. :)

Looking forward to adding this one to my own stash
Thanks for sharing this breakdown.

Black primer
nxrefit_img_4797.jpg

nxrefit_img_4799.jpg

Testor’s Metalizer Titanium (buffed)
nxrefit_img_4803.jpg

nxrefit_img_4804.jpg

and some Testors Brass for highlighted areas. And some gloss white for the lit windows. Next up are decals!

nxrefit_img_4805.jpg

nxrefit_img_4807.jpg

nxrefit_img_4810.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I have been curious about what this kit would be like since I heard about it a while back.

Decal process has begun! I’m going a little slowly though. Had about a half an hour to do some areas. I’m finding it’s best to cut the “numbered” pieces apart on the larger panel lines so they fit better. They will also sit nicely into the deep panel lines on the kit with the help of some Micro Sol. It’s still a touch dark in some light but I really like the look of it so far…

nxrefit_img_4818.jpg

nxrefit_img_4822.jpg

nxrefit_img_4824.jpg

nxrefit_img_4825.jpg

Decal process continues slowly. The Polar Lights decals have a really thick and foggy film. I hope the Sol will negate it a little bit before the clear coat…The ALPS layer also seems to be a little out of register.

nxrefit_img_4848.jpg

nxrefit_img_4849.jpg

nxrefit_img_4846.jpg

nxrefit_img_4847.jpg

nxrefit_img_4845.jpg

Excellent progress :)

It will look fantastic once the final black wash applied. :)

Wow, man, You're moving on this so extremely fast! :eek:
Great job so far, waiting to see You progressing on the secondary hull.

Thanks guys! Although, Youli, I don't think I'll be doing a black wash on this one. And thinking back on the decal coatings, maybe I should have put the red striping down BEFORE the aztek....

Latest posts

Back