Polar Lights 1 1000 Enterprise - Complete - well...almost

Mikey_W_1980

Morning all!!

I decided to treat my self over the weekend and purchased the Polar Lights 1/1000 scale USS Enterprise Refit kit.

Have to say, its absolutely stunning...and will be using the decal detail sheets as it seems to give a nice iridescence to the hull plating.

Any who's.....I've been toying with the idea of lighting it up as this kit just looks the fo-shiz lit up....

Is there an off the shelf lighting kit available at all?

One that is pretty straight forward for an amateur with electronics can easily install?

If so, where could I find such a thing?

Cheers in advance

Mike

Re: Polar Lights 1 1000 Enterprise Refit - WIP

Hmmm....Guessing thats a no then....no matter...will plough on with a work in progress...the base coat has been applied and will be fully dry soon.

Re: Polar Lights 1 1000 Enterprise - Refit WIP

I personally don't buy lighting kits, but one might be found at places like starshipmodler store
fedoritron
cultman
voodoo fx

I am not sure if they have a lighting kit for it, just a few places to look.

Mike, Tennacontrols makes a board for the 1000.

Jim

Cheers my friends,

Looks like Tennacontrols only do the 1 350 scale now. No matter though, the kit is a bit too small to wire, should I be bold enough in the future to attempt the 1/350 scale I now know where to look and start to build up what I need.

Morning All,

So I managed to get some bench time on the Enterprise...the build was really straight forward with very little issues.

The only ones I encountered were with the nacelles are a little too tight and needed a few modifications.

here's the progress so far

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

Primary Hull section complete - I glued the sections as well to ensure a tight seamless bond

DSC_0165.jpg

Secondary Hull
DSC_0163_1.jpg

Nacelle 1

DSC_0164_1.jpg

Nacelle 2

DSC_0165_1.jpg

Test Fit to see how it looks

DSC_0166.jpg

Principle Build complete in an afternoon

DSC_0167.jpg

So the Aztecing of the Primary Hull begins...not happy with the bridge section, The decals are really fiddly and dont sit down too well. I may have to pull them off and hand paint the detailing around the bridge section

DSC_0168.jpg

Bit of a close up of the Aztec detailing

DSC_0169.jpg

Upper Primary Hull complete - I'm going to let this dry fully before attempting the under section.

DSC_0170.jpg

Incidentally, can anyone suggest a good spray product to seal the decals on so they don't flake off?

It may also take away the glossy sheen as well - which is perfectly OK.

Critique as always welcome

I've been using Glosscote and Dullcote laquer's from Testors. I know most people spray Future on their models to seal it in also.

ulvdemon said:
I've been using Glosscote and Dullcote laquer's from Testors. I know most people spray Future on their models to seal it in also.
I'll echo this

Your build's looking pretty good

I use alclad's clear coats. But they require an airbrush.

I have also used Testor's clear coats, and they do work well.

Morning all,

Thanks for the tips on the decal sealant. Haven't had much bench time with this recently, mainly due to other things going on, and also I wanted the upper section to dry thoroughly before starting the under side.

I've also noticed that some of the decal instructions are slightly wrong and back to front. so be aware of this is you ever tackle this build.

For example, the primary hull edge decals by the impulse engines are the wrong way round.

TOP TIP - when cutting the decals out, use a scalpel and cut right on the line of the detail so you don't get any over flash when applied.

The aztecing also requires trimming when applied with a sharp blade so that it all falls into place neatly.

Few sections painted and the lower lighting dome sorted.
DSC_0175.jpg

Started the aztecing, but found that I kept catching the rim decals. so downed tools to allow them to dry, and then will carry on.

DSC_0176.jpg

Managed to get some more bench time this weekend....World cup on in the back ground as well.

This build is taking its time as I feel the decalling needs to be done in stages...do a bit...let it dry thoroughly then carry on...anyways...here we go...

Underside of the primary Hull done.....now to wait 24 hrs to dry

DSC_0183.jpg

24 hrs later - detailing done

DSC_0184.jpg

Starboard neck column

DSC_0185.jpg

Port neck column

DSC_018_edit_1402693051832.jpg

Start of the Engineering Hull

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

Ant thats where I've left it for the moment to allow to dry out. Side sections of the engineering hull to finish, and a few bits of detailing...then onto the Uber complex nacelles

Thanks for the support chaps!!

Managed a bit more last night whilst watch Spain get thumped by Chile...

The majority of the secondary hull is now complete....there is some flashing from the decals around the nacelle support struts that need trimming when its dry enough....oh and another thing...Polar Lights need to understand which side of the side is Port and starboard.....they have them the wrong way round in the instruction sheet.

A little trimming needed on the Starboard nacelle support
DSC_0191.jpg

Port side
DSC_0192.jpg

Starboard side rear
DSC_0193.jpg

As you can see I've started to paint some aspects of the nacelles, but soon discovered I dont have a duck-egg blue shade..something to pick up over the weekend.

sort them out then fit everything together.

Enjoy!

Right then....Its taken a while...but she's done.

I think i need to give it a coating of a matt varnish to seal the decals and also take the shine off of it.

Thoughts are welcomed and any critique

Hope you enjoy

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

Cheers guys! Means alot ;D

I've noticed that the saucer section is a little wonky, could be the way it sits.

Latest posts

Back