Plaster wall

Juststu82

I was confused whether this went in this thread or the paint one as it pertains to both.

I used the below technique to make for first ever attempt at anything diorama related. It looks ok for a first go but a couple of points I wanted help on. The edge of the card where the bricks are exposed is very sharp and unrealistic, any tips for making this look like the edge of plaster work. Secondly, and this may help with question one, how do I make the plaster around the exposed brick look real. I was thinking a paste with a fine grain but was unsure how to make this as I am very, very new....like joined last week after a fifteen year break from modelling new. thanks for any help,

Stu

Terrainoob's Techniques - Plastered Brickwork

There are often more than one way - have a look at this from 1:40 for an alternative, although similar approach.

Tamiya JGSDF Light Armored Vehicle & Academy UH-60L Black Hawk Tutorial 4/9 SP-14

One not so subtle difference, depending on what you are trying to achieve is employing either an "Addition" process or "Subtraction".

Another alternative, depending on the scale you are working at - pre-embossed styrene from the likes of Slaters, and actually plastering it yourself with a paste. Then break the paste off...

Just watched that sleepylafiel video on Youtube the other day and was going to suggest it.

Another suggestion to make bricks is by using modelling clay and actually crafting individual bricks. You should be able to find the clay in hobby stores that sell diorama equipment. It comes in the form of a powder which you mix with water and allow to dry in a mold. After they set, they have a texture that allows you to break/cut them into a desired shaped.

Update: got some texture paste from the two dollar shop and tried this. I tried to brush paint acrylic over it but the brush strokes are blindingly obvious. I'm going to sand it a little and try airbrushing when I get the chance and see how this looks. Wonderful that no matter what it has only cost a couple of bucks. I'm really enjoying experimenting.

Try thinning the acrylics and using more than one coat, particularly if you are using the paste type. Just be careful not to get the substrate too wet if it is a material that will warp.

One thing you didn't mention - what scale are you working in?

Latest posts

Back