Photo Etch tool useage

Ekire

Good day everyone,

Recently back into building and havent done anything with photo etch until now. I have done a fair amount of research about PE bending tools and noticed there is a ton of info out there about what is recommended to get, the different types and styles and their qualityq, and a lot on how to use your typical straight edge portion of the tool.

I totally get how to bend straight portions of PE, and i understand there are tools for rolling as well, but what about the other portions of the bending tools - how do you use the different grooves, angles, tooltips and curves? I was unsuccessful scouring the forums and internet videos on these.

Thanks.

Marktastrophe

Bump!
I have a set of Photo-Etch parts for my 1:24 R34 Spec R, and I've been to scared to start to tackle it because of the PE learning curve.

urumomo

" how do you use the different grooves, angles, tooltips and curves? "

The different width fingers and beveled edges are just to facilitate bending various shapes . Boxes with perpendicular sides etc .
There's no secret to them , they're what they appear to be .
The bevels allow for slightly over-bending the brass so you can make it stay at a 90 degree bend , Or , bending it further if that is required .

Ekire

Thanks Urumomo - thats kind of where i was headed - i just dont want to ruin anything by experimenting, so was curious.

the Baron

Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
Over at Aircraft Resource Center is a collection of articles on working with photo-etch parts and tools:

You might enjoy browsing those. The authors mention an outfit called The Small Shop, who make the Hold and Fold tool, among others. Small Shop's website is https://thesmallshop.com/ You might enjoy having a look at their site, too.

Best regards,
Brad