Photo Etch Decals - Availability

hooterville75

Can someone please tell me if their is a way to find out what all aftermarket special decals or photo etch parts are available for any models to make the model look more realistic ? Depending on what type of decals or products are available in these two categories could determine what kits I build in the future. Being so new to this hobby I have no clue about this kind of stuff.

Maybe photo etch or special graphical decals is something I shouldn't worry about being I'm so new to the hobby ????? I just like to have my models looking as realistic to real life as I possibly can. Thanks in advance for any info one can give me in regards to finding out what all types of these products exist.

Do a search for what you are looking for on Squadron, Sprue Bros., or Stevens International, that will cover probably 80% of the aftermarket items in decals and photo etch that are available.

Thanks man. Do you think I should worry about getting my feet a bit more wet with building scale models before I worry about looking into photo etch or go straight to the wolves and attempt it from the start ?

My $0.02 is that you should, if you have no physical disabilities that affect fine motor movements, focus on making the most of your models. Don't focus on quantity, but rather quality! Quality of course is subjective from person to person. I think quality means you look at a previous build, and improve upon any unrefined techniques in another build.

I believe in one of your posts you noted you enjoy striving for the best in your models (?) If so, then I suggest forgetting the aftermarket at the moment, and practice your scratch building. The aftermarket is indeed of good quality and should eventually be looked towards in some cases. But I wouldn't say you're really 'improving'/ 'enhancing' your model with aftermarket parts, it's more superficial. Of course, you state that you want models that emulate a high degree of realism - then do check the aftermarket after learning detailing/scratchbuilding techniques (scratchbuilding will truly go a long way, and not only improve your skill, but prove that you won't have to rely on aftermarket parts. I think there's too much reliance on the aftermarket these days, and for good reason. But, I suggest looking at it more as a supplement or last resort). (Hmm...it seems this statement went
off topic, but I felt like expressing that).

P.S. Hooterville75, I love your enthusiasm for the hobby man! It's definitely nice to see newer members become so active in the community and reflect all that is great about starting the hobby. If I may make a suggestion, I noticed that you have a good number of threads going, and a lot of them seem very related in topics. Perhaps you could make one general thread for your questions/ suggestions/ comments? I mean, the several threads are fine, but I think the one single thread will add to a more organized chit chat section. Hope you take this into
consideration!

Hooterville, do whatever makes you happy.

I might suggest that before running out and buying a bunch of photo etch for kits you have, that the next kit you buy, purchase one that come with photoetch, as usually the PE that come in the kit is usually less involved, and would give you a taste for it, rather than dropping you in the deep end.

However since you mostly build race cars, really other than a few of the higher end F1 cars, not many come with PE, and PE in general is limited somewhat on the Auto side vs PE for armor, ships and aircraft.

As far as aftermarket decals, as long as you are getting decals from a reliable decal maker, they are no different than the ones that come in the kit.

Note to self ! less is more !

Don't be so eager to start using that stuff......

more often than not ! it will kill your drive to finish a kit if the P.E. is not behaving !

Good luck !

Latest posts

Back