PBY-5 CATALINA

BLT

Hey guys

Finally done with my diploma... For a while anyway. I've parked the Galactica at the shipyards for a while... No more modifying kits for a now.

Anyway I've had this kit for many years and I figured it'll build up to a nice kit without too much trouble...

The inside is hardly visible so I don't have to go nuts with details. I figure there's a lot of big flat surfaces to have fun with ones I get to the painting stage...

Not sure if I'll go with the black cat or the aluminum version... Somehow I think such a big plane all black might bee to much...

Stressed and weathered three tone classic color scheme somehow appeals to me. Anyway I have to see about that, when I get closer to the painting stage.

BTW... This was back when you bought a kit, you bought the reference material as well... In my case In Action and Walk Around.
IMG_20211213_215704.jpgIMG_20211213_215717.jpg

Enjoy

Monogram ;) It's a nice kit! The ProModeler boxing had extra crew figures that are really great, too. By that time, Monogram had nice figures with those large kits-the USAAF aircrew and ground crew, and the TBD pilot and deck crew.

I look forward to following your progress on this one, BLT!

Monogram ;) It's a nice kit! The ProModeler boxing had extra crew figures that are really great, too. By that time, Monogram had nice figures with those large kits-the USAAF aircrew and ground crew, and the TBD pilot and deck crew.

I look forward to following your progress on this one, BLT!
Thank you Baron

Sadly it's not the monogram. It's the Revell, and no crew.

I was considering investing in a pilot and co-pilot, but in the end you can't really see much anyway...

I was considering adding some detail, but I honestly don't think it's worth it.

IMG_20211214_224158.jpgIMG_20211215_064031.jpgIMG_20211215_064042.jpg

Enjoy

Thank you for the likes...

There really isn't much to this, the interior oof the thing is hardly visible, ones the canopy and blisters are in place.

If one wanted to scratch build some detail it would certainly have to be in the middle gun compartment where those blisters are.

Anyway I slapped some weathering on this and called it good. It's rough and overdone... But it'll show up through the blisters.

IMG_20211216_181259_1.jpg

Enjoy

It's not bad; it's on par with Monogram's other large kits, like the B-17, the B-24J and D, the B-29. But yeah, probably not up to today's expectations. Still the only game in town in 1/48, though.

There is a modeler in Brazil who went all out superdetailing the interior. He even motorized the engines. He posted a build article in multiple parts through IPMS Germany: http://ipmsdeutschland.de/Flugzeuge/Gaeste/Wolf_Catalina.html

It's not bad; it's on par with Monogram's other large kits, like the B-17, the B-24J and D, the B-29. But yeah, probably not up to today's expectations. Still the only game in town in 1/48, though.

There is a modeler in Brazil who went all out superdetailing the interior. He even motorized the engines. He posted a build article in multiple parts through IPMS Germany: http://ipmsdeutschland.de/Flugzeuge/Gaeste/Wolf_Catalina.html
Thank you very much Baron

Yeah I've seen this... But if he intends to close it up it's just a big waste of time. It's impressive for sure... But wasted if you glue the two halves together, cuz you can't see anything except maybe in the blisters.

Anyway I did find one part that could do with some extra attention, the engines. I added some thin wire for the fuse wire ignition harness... I hope it'll give it a little detail.

IMG_20211218_193819.jpg

Enjoy

Thank you for the likes guys.

This was going to be just a simple build... Nothing fancy.

I did try to convince myself that the engine cowling was good enough...

No luck tho... So I've decided to ad some panels and cowl flaps made out of a beer can. Actually I think the cowling is a tad too small, looking at pictures of this thing.

I did consider modeling the the cowl flaps in full oppen position, but that would requere some sort of engine og a ton load of pipes, so no luck.

IMG_20211219_214047.jpg

IMG_20211219_214113.jpg

Enjoy

This isn't working...
IMG_20211226_181521.jpg
It doesn't look the part. I have to redo the frakking cowling cooling flaps again, they suck.

The engines sorta worked tho. Sorta kinda... I primered them and then drybrusehd the aluminum. After that I brush painted the wires.

They don't stand out as much as I'd like. Next time I think I'll airbrush the blue cowling, mask that and airbrush the aluminum, paint the details, and then wash the entire thing with a black og dark brown wash.
IMG_20211226_181509.jpg
OH well.

The hole reason for doing this thing is the chance to town on the weathered surfaces anyway.

Well that... And flying boats a badass.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Still have 2 of the Monogram kits bought WAY back when....as when the kit was first released. What made my purchase REALLY nice was someone at Walmart screwed up on the price....as in $8 each?!

Thanks for watching...

I replaced the beer can cowling cooling flaps - wierd sentence - with some thin sheet plastic instead, that seems to do the trick. Far from perfekt but better.
IMG_20211227_225011.jpg

I rebuild the oil cooler... Well rebuild is a big word, I sanded it down to better match the scale, the thing had such thick walls it made it look lige a toy. I sanded out the inside and replaced the the detail with af sheet of plastic.

The oil cooler honeycomb should be visible from the back, only I have yet to find a fine enough material.
IMG_20211227_225411.jpg

Thanks for following along.

"That's no PBY... It's a black hole that swallows time, good mood and dreams!"

But it was sitting there on the shelf, and I had for some reason watched yet another YouTube video of some lucky guy building the DeAgostini MF... Ya can't get the bloody thing anymore... In fact the only thing you can get is the perfect grade at an absolutely insane price, or the 1/144 scale and then at an even more insane price. Even then it's the bloody last jedi version. 'insert puke smiley here!'

So I fired up my excel spreadsheet and continued converting the the numbers from the blueprints of the 5ft to this abomination to try and get it to match the 5 ft.

All I really need to do on the pby, is scribe 4 stupit lines on the last engine cowling, and I can start painting... So why the FRAK do I take this stupid thing off of the shelf again?

I must be daft!

IMG_20220120_220354.jpg

Hmm. Apparently, there's alotta MOEBIUS Battlestar Galactica in you too. ;)

Don't mind me, I'm just here to subscribe to this thread.

Rob.
I love the old BSG, I've been thinking about scratch building one in half studioscale but it seams a bit daunting.

One day tho... I'll be done with my diploma and I can buy a comp and 3d printer and print the greeblies myself.

The problem with the mpc falcon and the new BSG kits is that you have to remove and rebuild a lot... If you only had to add stuff it's not that bad. Well less bad.

Thanx for replying and following

Latest posts

Back