Panda MRAP something you need to know

Eastrock

It's All About The Fun!!!
And yet I have talked to "builders" as opposed to "assemblers" and say that no this is no Tamiya or Dragon kit, but it builds just fine.

The fact that in North America the Kinetic one will be about $30 more than this one....doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which is the better deal.

Besides....I thought we were modelers and can do this work, not assemblers that just want a "shake n bake" kit all the time?

Personally, a sharp-fitting kit is more enjoyable to me. I'd rather modify and customize a well manufactured kit, than puzzle over bad instructions and poorly fitting parts. My two cents.

NecronautDrummer said:
Personally, a sharp-fitting kit is more enjoyable to me. I'd rather modify and customize a well manufactured kit, than puzzle over bad instructions and poorly fitting parts. My two cents.

^^ yup one reason i refuse to buy airfix even tough they may be better now days.

and as for us being builders scott ya still need to be able to read the instructions... ;D

lets not forget that.... the K, and P kits are only 5 $ differences in Hong Kong ! then you get more for your money !

Over-there that is !! LOL I still think I will buy both and make a Side by Side comparison build !

Weird that two companies are releasing this basically at the same time.... ? I wonder ???

Thanks for the heads up !!! Who needs more ( DML Dragon 3 in 1 ) ""style kit"" ??? not me !

Once I get them... I'll let you guys know ! 8)

Cool I am interested in this kit but I was looking at the other make

schweinhund227 said:
lets not forget that.... the K, and P kits are only 5 $ differences in Hong Kong ! then you get more for your money !

Over-there that is !! LOL I still think I will buy both and make a Side by Side comparison build !

Weird that two companies are releasing this basically at the same time.... ? I wonder ???

Thanks for the heads up !!! Who needs more ( DML Dragon 3 in 1 ) ""style kit"" ??? not me !

Once I get them... I'll let you guys know ! 8)

I think in this case, Lucky Model, aka Kinetic, aka Dragon, is artificially keeping the price of the Panda kit up near the price of theirs. Why else would the Panda kit be the same retail in the North America vs China...makes no sense, when there is always a disparity in the retail price of everything else that comes from China vs the retail in North America of the same product.

Thanks Scott M.

Maybe if the kits were dis similarly priced in china..... The Overpriced Kinetic wouldn't sell as well? In the Asias model shops?

It is the same story with Italeri kits Cheaper in Canada than the USA!

Weird hey?

Here is one for you that is even weirder.........

Take a Revell Germany kit, good example, the recent 1/32 He-111 that came out from RoG recently.

RoG kit, US MSRP - $117.00

Same kit being released in Feb (I think) from Revell USA, US MSRP - $79.95

It is the exact same kit save for maybe different markings. What makes it so much less for the Revell USA vs the RoG kit?

The only thing I can see, is the Revell USA kits, the parts still come from RoG's plant in Poland, but only just the bag of parts, which is put into the kit box that is shipped from China, and the whole thing is assembled in the Revell USA plant in the US. The RoG hit is imported into the US fully in the box, which is basically the only difference. So the only thing I can see is that there is a US tariff on the complete kit in the box from RoG, and no tariff, or not as much on the parts and box being imported separately from different countries and assembled in the US.

In the case of the Panda kit, the US Importer is selling it for the same price that Lucky Model is, and about 1/100th the shipping cost to get it to Lucky vs Pac Models in Seattle. And considering that Lucky Model owns Kinetic, (which is all owned by Dragon btw) is artificially keeping the retail price at their shop higher than it needs to be, because they know they won't sell any of their own once they come out if it was $20 more.

Then again, Lucky Model=Kinetic=Dragon=Dragon USA, whom are greedy and put a huge markup on the kits when they hit the US, so other suppliers have difficulty selling the product, because they would rather sell it retail themselves. One only has to look at the retail for a Dragon kit from Dragon USA vs say Squadron. Extrapolate that back to Lucky Model, Kinetic vs Panda, and they are doing the same thing there. I would estimate that the Panda kit would probably sell for no more than $25, maybe $30 tops from an Asian shop, considering MSRP that Pac Models has on it in the US.

Not 100% sure of the new MRAP that was just announced by both Riich and Kinetic, Riich being an offshoot of Bronco, I feel those 2 kits will be closer in price, with the Riich one probably going to be in the $70 range, the Kinetic one will likely be closer to $100 (in North America). Still beats the $200 price tag on the recent Legend one....but it being 100% resin, I can understand that price....doesn't mean I would pay that mind you. If the Riich one comes in at the price I believe it will....and the quality of Bronco, it will be a steal of a price vs the pending Kinetic one.

I think Norm, that would be a good Idea the side by side comparison build and I hope you the best of patience :)

lets just put it this way for example Academy M18 vs AFV Hellcat, The latter should be a clear winner but the Academy came out first... Just like Scott M. post ROG vs Revell USA... even in modelling, it already monopolize...

Many Academy kits have been partially made by AFV Club. Take for example Academy's entire M113 line.....all made by AFV Club.

Not saying that Academy's M18 was.....nor do I know the quality of either personally, but it wouldn't surprise me if AFV Club had their hand in the making of the Academy one.

that part I never know about AFV had hand in making the Academy kits...

I have build the Academy M18hellcat... the plastic is more brittle and most of the parts are molded solid and most especially the turret is not accurate. but I'm not saying the AFV is perfect it has a complicated suspension system... and its also needs some enhancement to details

Yeah, I can't say for sure if AFV had a hand in Academy's M18 kit or not. I know AFV did have a hand in Academy's M113 kits, so it does stand to reason that they may have also been part of the M18.

Then again, alot of Academy's early armor kits were just direct copies (sometimes poor copies at that) of Tamiya kits.

Latest posts

Back