PAK40 Antitank Gun

ScaleModelDisciple

This little guy needs a place to live. :'(
PAK40_1.jpg
PAK40_2.jpg

I have completed the gun but i need to build a diorama for it.
I have made this project an entry in the SMA contest in the All Open category.
I have some ideas for a scene and historical setting, and i plan to keep a video journal of my progress with this project.
So, i'll be posting more later.

I worked on my base today. Here is what i have so far...
IMG_2311.jpg
IMG_2308.jpg
IMG_2309.jpg
IMG_2310.jpg

I made the fence from pieces of balsa. I gave the posts and rails an aged look by painting them with a dark gray thin wash.
I am not finished with the grass, weeds and groundwork. It looks a bit sparse, yet.
I am planning on putting 1 or 2 small trees as well.

That base is coming together nice ,I like the little Pak too ...keep it going ;D

Chris.

Good afternoon to you all,

ScaleModelDisciple, you´ve got a nice PAK… :D

I have a doubt,

Is the PAK to be displayed in the dio going to be shown in an active ambush / hot action (combat)? Or will it be a dio depicting a pause in the combat / quiet zone?

Once you choose the position of the gun in the dio, I would suggest you to add some branches with foliage / bushes/ camo net / etc to conceal as maximum possible the front of the PAK to the sight of the enemy, because, although PAKs have a low silhouette, in open ground they´re an easy prey to any mortar spotter, etc…

You can see an example here:

http://www.germansoldier.co.uk/detling2006.html

… here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30334505@N06/5068853233/#

… and here…
http://bkpforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=101 (just scroll down… you´ll see a couple of color pictures of a PAK 40 “silhouette disrupted” )

Cheers :)

Jelly: I'm just getting started with the foliage in the fence row. There should be plenty more before i'm finished. Though, i don't want to conceal the model so much that a viewer can't see any details on the piece. I do have some camo netting that i started working on (starting with dyed cheese cloth) but i don't know if it will make it into this dio yet.
The setting, as i was imagining it, is somewhere near Eindhoven or Veghel (during Market Garden) just before XXX Corps get near. So, it should be in preparation for battle but not actually engaged.

Great job so far! Looking forward to seeing those figs finished. ;D

Yep, have to agree with the other Guys, your landscape is looking very convincing! I really like the way you have the angles of road, fence, base edge ect. all askew to each other. Not sure if you're already doing so, but I think it would look cool to have the top rail of the fence laying on the ground in front where the gun has knocked it off. Maybe even better, would be to have it still connected to one post but on the ground on the other side. Anyhow, your skills are showing! Nice work. (Also, I really like the motorcycle in your videos opening).

Fumble

fumblethumbs said:
Yep, have to agree with the other Guys, your landscape is looking very convincing! I really like the way you have the angles of road, fence, base edge ect. all askew to each other. Not sure if you're already doing so, but I think it would look cool to have the top rail of the fence laying on the ground in front where the gun has knocked it off. Maybe even better, would be to have it still connected to one post but on the ground on the other side. Anyhow, your skills are showing! Nice work. (Also, I really like the motorcycle in your videos opening).

Fumble
Amazing that you mentioned the missing top rail, because i have indeed made a top rail (with bent nails sticking out) that will either be lying on the ground or dangling on one post. I didn't have it handy for the video, but i will post more pictures when i can.
The motorcycle is one of those small models i have built, but i don't know what to do with it. I'm sure i will place it into a diorama at some point, though.
I also have some more pics of the trees that have undergone a light coat of yellow to make them fit a more autumn look which i will post soon.
Thanks guys for your kind comments.

Hello
Like the weathering on you pak Very nice

And your fence looks as old as gods dog top!!!

Geegad

Here are the trees with a little dusting of yellow.

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

Should i add a bit more yellow for an early autumn look, or is this enough?

Here are a couple of photos of the aforementioned top rail. I still need to age the "nails" they look a bit too shiny, yet.

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

Which "pose" is better?
Barely hanging on to one post, or knocked to the ground?

Desciple, I vote for the dangling rail! Trees look great. Now for the super anal bit, don't forget to put the evidence of nail holes in the post where the rail got knocked off. The chip out of the post looks really cool. Nice, nice work man!!

Latest posts

Back