Painting interleaved roadwheels?

f2k

So, I’ve got my Jagdpanzer E-100 – or rather: the bottom half of it – to the point where it’s almost ready to be painted.

But how to do it...?

Each side has eight interleaved roadwheels. I could mount these on the tank before painting, but that would make it quite difficult to get to all the details – particularly on the innermost wheels. Or I could paint them each individually before mounting them, but that would possibly – unless I’m real careful with the masking – cover the surfaces that will later be used to glue the roadwheels to the suspension. And, to make matters worse, it would also force me to paint, or at least undercoat, the rubber-tracks before mounting them as I can’t undercoat them while mounted on the already painted roadwheels.

So, just out of sheer curiosity: how do you guys paint interleaved roadwheels?

Hi F2K,
Here's how I go about it .
Paint roadwheels seperately mounted on cocktail sticks ,that also keeps paint out of the mounting hole .once the wheel is painted paint in the rubber tyre (if there is one ) if you're not using an Airbrush ,a good tip is to start painting with the paint thinned down to a wash ,this gives you a good sharp edge around the wheel as the paint runs its self round the lip ,once you do that you can paint the rest of the tyre in as usual .
Tracks ,I also undercoat and paint before fitting ,at least up to the weathering stage .
I also paint and weather the hull before fitting any of the running gear ;)

Hope that helps out !

Chris.

Freewheel it along a really long bench and chase it with your airbrush? :)
I'm no armour modeller and accordingly this hasn't occurred to me before but of course a lot of German armour has interleaved wheels, personally i'd mount them on cocktail sticks as someone has already said and spray them individually first, if they're on already the only way would be to glue them fixed so they can't rotate and spray them fixed getting into all the nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting to note, that you all prefer to paint before mounting.

Personally, I’ve always tried to assemble as much of the model as possible before painting and weathering. Not only do I find it easier to work on a big unit than a handful of small fiddly parts, I’ve also found it easier to pull the highlights and weathering together when working on a single unit.

This time though, I’ll probably wind up doing it in bits’n’pieces. Painting the interleaved wheels mounted on the tank is just going to be a pain...

F2k, its entirely up to you ,but yes I normally assemble and paint the whole tank ,but leave of the running gear ,this seems to be the norm with most builders and the easiest route to go :)

Chris.

Same process as Chris for me F2k, it`s by far the best way to go...............good luck with what you decide to go with fella ;D

`Boots`

I recall speaking to a tanker a while ago and he was telling me the main reason he loved building armour models was that you could assemble pretty much the whole model before spraying so you're not on your own.
I'd probably tackle it in individual subcomponents as that's what I do with bike and car kits, but then with aircraft I do the cockpit and pretty much build the rest barring the undercarriage before painting.

i'll bow to the greater knowledge of armour builders on best technique though

Hey F2K, like chris said its entirely up to you, me i paint the wheels off of the tank if it has rubber rims, but if they are steel wheels such as a late tiger tank, king tiger or any tank with steel wheels i put them on the tank and paint them then that just the way i do it, but its entirely up to you. i just find it easier for meto do it that way. :)

Panzerman75

sunsanvil said:
I assemble my tanks completely, and I mean completely, before the first drop of paint goes on. Start with a dark base color, and work your way out. Pick out details with a brush and if you cant reach it with a brush, you probably wont see it. :)

Some examples of tanks with interleaved wheels I've done this way:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cy5PA7utRyw/TGXPtZxnL1I/AAAAAAAAAHw/MAUZN0gHmWo/s1600/IMG_0644.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cy5PA7utRyw/TGRq9rZgK3I/AAAAAAAAAGo/epN5juDRrZY/s1600/IMG_0313.jpg

Nice work on the big cat...

I'm assuming that there's a lot of unpainted plastic hidden away behind the outer roadwheels?

You know what !!!! if those pictures are your tanks ? Then... Your technique of Assembling then painting them as is.... is GREAT !

I see nothing wrong with your way of assembling then painting.... I know some will say... oh gosh ! Unpainted plastic behind ! ( no punt Intended BTW )

I do the same thing... at times !!! the later type German Kats had Steel wheels and are much easier to tackle ! the Earlier panther chassis had Rubber Road wheels and those are a little harder... cuz they had two types... Conical outer wheels which had different rubber inserts... (larger) thicker and the Inners which had very little rubber visible.... Thank god for them switching to Steel wheels later on .... makes out Life a whole lot better !!! LOL

Either way ! what ever you are doing is JUST fine !!! the results speaks for themselves ! carry on soldier !

Latest posts

Back