Painting faded Russian green?

f2k

Hey guys...

I’ve been scratching my head over this one for a while now.

I’ve seen some really nicely painted Russian WWII tanks with a sort of dusty greenish colour, almost as though the grey undercoat shone through in some places.

(See attached screenshot for an example – ok, it’s from a game, but the look of the tank is the same...)

I’ve experimented a bit with hairspray, salt, and fading green over grey, but it just doesn’t come out right.

Any tips for how to get that look?

[attachment deleted by admin]

the is no one standard russian green, on my SU-85 im using German field grey Tamiya XF-65.

to get that effect i would user a dark color a s a baseseal it then use AK chipping fluids or hair spray and just work it down followed by some dry brushing sponging and picking out little details

Yeah, that's somewhat like what I've been trying to do. Haven't been able to replicate the dusty greyish-green look yet though. Chipping doesn't seem to do it as it's more like a mix of two colours than the undercoat being visible through chips in the outer layer.

Perhaps I simply need to practise a bit more...

AK interactive has a color modulation set for Russian Greens. The results look to be right what you're looking for. The whole dusty oxidized look and coupled with the suggested chipping ang fading techniques, you'll achieve the look you desire in no time

Easy way to do it.

Prime in Black, paint it Russian Green (assuming it is a Russian Tank), going light with the green in the recesses so your black show through a bit giving you a false shadow. Once that is dry, take the same Russian green and add a few drops of a sand color (if you are using Vallejo, Iraqi Sand works well), which will lighten the paint slightly and only spray that in the center of the panels, and viola, faded green paint job.

While not a perfect job by any means, and not a tank....but is what I did to my Zero..........

IMG_4574.jpg

Don't need to add much sand color either, a little goes a long way.

Latest posts

Back