Paint problem

Ratrod3347

Well here goes. I have some parts I have de-chromed with bleach.This is the first time have ever taken chrome off of parts.Now I believe I should be able to prime them now but I cant.... It won't stick.It looks like the parts are painted black under the chrome coating almost like a mattalic black.....did I do this process wrong or have missed something.is there something else on them I need to strip off?Thanks for any help

Elm City Hobbies

Normally the parts under the chrome are the same color plastic as the kit, not always, but most times.

The parts could have a clear coat placed on the parts, between the plastic and the chrome coating, but this shouldn't affect a primer coat.

Did you use pure bleach? Or some thing that is a solution with bleach in it? Take and run your parts in warm water with a bit of dish soap, and gently scrub the parts with an old toothbrush, there could be a build up of something on the parts from the bleaching process that is preventing the primer to stick.

I am assuming you are using an acrylic primer?

Ratrod3347

Yea I'm using an acrylic primer.I let the parts soak In water for about an hour and scrubbed them with a brush. Did not seam to work but sanding them has but its really gumming up the paper like its a clear coat.

Elm City Hobbies

Yeah, depending on the kit, they put a clear lacquer over the bare plastic, to give the chrome something to bite into.

I generally don't bother priming the chrome parts after I strip the chrome off, just hit it with a gloss black and then chrome.

Latest posts