Paint brand options

RickyE

I am just now getting back into building models and I am confused on what brand paint I should use. I remember as a kid using Testors paint because that was all we could afford and quite frankly, I am still needing to buy a paint brand that is affordable for me. My friend just gave me a airbrush kit from Model Masters that has never been used. I am just not sure what to use for airbrushing. I know that I do not want my kits to look crappy after painting them. I want something I can take pride in when I look on the shelf. Any suggestions?

Vallejo.

200+ colors in the Model Color line, and using their AB thinner, about 2 parts thinner, to 1 part paint, you are good to go.

48 colors in their Panzer Aces line, thin them out like the Model Color.

114 colors (soon to be about 130) in the Model Air line, all pre-thinned for airbrushing, just drop it in your airbrush and go, if it needs thinned at all, only need a drop or 2 of thinner in the paint cup.

All 17ml bottles, and run about $3.50 per bottle. When compared to other paints as far as price, it is one of the least expensive paints per ml.

Add to that they also make a line of colored primers, that you just drop in your airbrush and paint.

I have used most of the rest of the lines out there, Testors (both enamel and acrylic), Tamiya, Lifecolor, Gunze, Humbrol. And for me, nothing even holds a candle to Vallejo.

vellajo paints are tough once dried, great for brush painting and the Airbrush and teh dropper bottles are very handy so you have very little waste,

Tamiya is by far and the away the most affordable of the premium lines. You can get those for less then $2.00 a bottle. But you need to use a thinner. I use Mr. color leveling thinner with it. I also use Vellejo. Great paint. A bit more expensive but you can just thin it with water. You don't need thinner for it. I've used it both ways. Water is fine.
http://www.scalehobbyist.com and www.megahobby.com have the best prices that I've found.

funny its the other way around over here Vallejo is cheaper than Tamiya.

Vallejo is cheaper here also when you factor in the per ml price.

I sell Vallejo for $3.50/ 17ml bottle, that is 20.6 cents per ml.

Tamiya is $2.50/ 10ml bottle, 25cents per ml.

Haven't brought Testors in for anyone in awhile, but I think it is around $4 for a 14.7ml bottle, or about 27 cents/ml

Humbrol might be actually cheaper than all of them, think they are $2.25 or $2.50 for 14ml tin, so 16-17.8 cents per ml

So for enamels, Humbrol is by far the least expensive, and for acrylic, Vallejo is the least expensive.

Yes, if you can get the 23ml Tamiya paints, they are actually less expensive, but they aren't available everywhere, none of my suppliers carry the 23ml, only the 10ml.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. After researching what you all have said, I do find that the Vellajo paints are the better price due to the fact of how much paint you get in the bottle compared to others. For the amount you get and the price, I think I will be going with Vellajo. I just hope the Aztec airbrush I got from my friend holds up with this paint. From what people told me though, any acrylic paint works well as far as usage from an airbrush. I guess I will find out..lol...Again, thanks for the suggestions from everyone.

I can get Vallejo Model Air, Model Color, Panzer Aces, 17 ml bottles for $2.39 which comes out to 14.1 cents per ml.

I can get the Tamiya 23 ml bottles for $2.39 as well which comes to 10 cents per ml.

I can get the Tamiya 10 ml bottles for $1.79 which comes out to 18 cents per ml.

I can get the Testors 7.4 ml bottles Acrylic or Enamel for $1.29 which comes out to 17.4 cents per ml

I can get the Model Masters 14.7 ml bottles Acryl or Enamel for $2.59 which comes out to 17.6 cents per ml

So for me Tamiya 23 ml bottles are by far the cheapest paints to buy but I haven't had the opportunity to experience them or the Vallejo just as of yet. I hope to experience them both in the very near future but being on a fixed limited income I have to slowly build my paint collection up. At the moment all I've had the opportunity to experience is the Testors and Model Masters line as that's what I've had the opportunity to buy bulk and cheap. So far I have been using the Model Master Enamel (Donn Yost method) thinned 2:1 with the cheapest cold lacquer thinner you can get. Its worked so far for me but like I said I will be experiencing the Vallejo and Tamiya very soon. Hoping that the Tamiya works the best for me experience wise as like I mentioned earlier in the post I can get that the cheapest. I will be getting the Vallejo from Scott here on the forum from Elm City Hobbies and the Tamiya paints from Scale Hobbyist.com

TO Hootervill75:

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting the paints at for those prices? Hobby shop or online? That's pretty good prices. I am like you, I am on a limited income as well so I have to buy what I can get really. I am still going to try out the Vellajo paints mentioned earlier in this topic.

Over here the cheaper acrylics are the 23ml tamiya bottles. They are not available everywhere but I do have a couple of stores who carry them. Close behind are the vallejo, which is not surprising since they come from my neighbours :) .

Regardless, for airbrushing I prefer Mr Color (not the aqueous) , for hand brushing vallejo is hands down the best I ever tried. Tried my hand with them last week and I'm totally sold.

RickyE said:
TO Hootervill75:

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting the paints at for those prices? Hobby shop or online? That's pretty good prices. I am like you, I am on a limited income as well so I have to buy what I can get really. I am still going to try out the Vellajo paints mentioned earlier in this topic.

www.scalehobbyist.com

humbrolls are €1.99 here Tamiya €2.25 and my lhs don't sell Vallejo, My lhs are owned IDIOTS :( its a pain in the ass having to order cleaner online

Spruebrothers has some decent prices on their Tamiya 23ml pots, being $3.09. The 10ml pots are $2.29.

Vallejo 17ml bottles are 2.99 for the 17ml sizes however. I recommend checking up on some sites for Flash Sales. I saw one on Sprue Bros last week that was 25% off all in stock Vallejo products and just this past weekend it was 25% off all MiG products.

The shipping is what gets ya, so if you're buying small, buy local. If you're getting ALL the color you need buy it online.

When buying Vellajo paints, does it have to be the model air in order to airbrush or can you airbrush the model color series?

One is just specifically formulated to need no thinning....pigment density and such. I know you can thin out the Model Color to use but I'm not sure if there are any ill effects of poor ratios and all that. I'm only well versed in airbrushing with Tamiya Acrylics.

* word to the wise---- buy some plastic disposable eye droppers! They're a lifesaver !!!! *

RickyE said:
When buying Vellajo paints, does it have to be the model air in order to airbrush or can you airbrush the model color series?

As TBadger said, the Model Air is pre-thinned for airbrushing, so no need to thin it, just drop it in your airbrush and go. If you do need to thin it any, just a drop or two of Vallejo AB thinner is all you need.

The model color can be thinned to be airbrushed. With Vallejo's reformulated AB thinner, it really takes the guess work out of thinning the paint. Basically 2 parts AB thinner, and 1 part paint, and you are good to go. Then just adjust your mix accordingly from that, too thin add a bit more paint, too thick, add a bit more thinner. Couldn't be easier.

Same goes for the Panzer Aces line

Well I know that the Vellajo paint bottles come with an eye dropped already inside the bottle so that will be good considering the amount of paint you will save in the end not to mention money. I may buy some extra for those just in case moments though.

Thanks Elm City that really helps me to have a better understanding. It seems to me that if I want to get some practice in learning to thin the paint to go with the model color series. I'm still in the process of getting all my supplies before I buy my models. I have an Aztec airbrush that a friend gave me I just need the compressor. I found a Masters compressor on the TCP Global website for around $79. The compressor itself is tankless but I don't want to spend a lot in the beginning until I get better at airbrushing. I can't wait to get started though and show my work to all you guys. I'm really looking forward for some comments lol.

Well guys I thought I would post something and tell you what I came up with.

I purchased both Tamiya and Vallejo paints at various hobby stores in my area. In the beginning, I thinned the Vallejo paints with regular tap water and it came out pretty good. Well I also purchased some Tamiya thinner for the Tamiya paints. Well I was playing around a bit with the paints and thinning them. I used the Tamiya thinner with the Vallejo paints and I have to say it works pretty darn good. I have not used this mix in my airbrush as of yet, only hand brushing. I am going to try it out and see what happens.

I remember someone once talking about how the Tamiya paints do not do so well hand brushing. I have to disagree with what I observed when doing this. Yes, they do not do as well as Vallejo, but they do not do a bad job, as long as you thin it out just right. I am happy to say that I am happy with both Tamiya and Vallejo paints. (But I did just order the Vallejo military color kit from Scale Hobbyist.) LOL!! It comes with 72 different military colors and it cost about $215.00, $225.00 after shipping cost.

I would like to thank everyone who commented and explain all the differences on this topic. I have learned a good bit but still have a long way to go.

I hate acrylic paint. Regardless of the brand and no matter how I apply it, thin it, whatever, I do not like the results. Enamel for me. It always applies the exact way I want it to. Lacquer is okay, but I use it only when I have to. If not using acrylic means there are certain weathering techniques I cannot do, then so be it.

There are others that use acrylic and have wonderful results. I am not one of them.

Latest posts

Back