P.A. Grand National

SteelSnail

Well, here is how my Post Apocalyptic Grand National looks so far. The idea is to have a turret in the right side and some sort of cannon/MG in the left.
I didn't get the front train-like bumper to be perfectly symmetrical but I guess a P.A. vehicle doesn't need to be perfect so I don't think I will correct it.
I also would like to add fuel drums in the back.

2012-10-17%252011.07.11.jpg

2012-10-17%252011.08.13.jpg

Thanks you Grendels, peza.
Noname, if it's not visible I will probably won't use it.
I got sick really bad over the weekend so I didn't get any work done although I did draw some sketches of what I'd like for weapongs. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel much better and I'll get something done.

Hello, hobby accomplices, time for an update.
I wanted to experiment with some of my new toys (paints, washes and more I recently got). So I used AK Interactive's Chipping color (AK 711) as a base color. Then I applied AK's Heavy chipping liquid. Because of the consistency of the heavy chipping liquid you don't get an even application and in this case that is good because it adds to the natural randomness of the effect.
Just after it dried I painted Tamiya's X-1 and as soon as it dried began the chipping with a stiff brush with some water. Don't let the top color to cure overnight of you might not be able to chip it.
Because I used a dark color on top there is not much contrast with the chipping color but I like the result:
20121102202034.jpg

Also the brushing took away the glossiness of the tamiya paint. That's too bad because it would have given it more contrast.
I worked a little bit on the interior. I wanted it to look vandalized so I cut out the stereo and placed some wires instead. Also I used AK's streaking grime to add a dirty look:
20121102202042.jpg

Finally I used a rotary tool to add scratches and holes and dressed them with a prismacolor silver pencil and a little of Vallejo metallic black. Again I was experimenting and so far I like it:
20121102202103.jpg

Maybe tomorrow I will try a wash on the wheels and I also want to try the pan pastel colors I recently got

I finished it! :D
I kind of rushed it because next Saturday there is a local contest and I want to take it there.
Every time I sat down to work on it I kept thinking "this is a project that can easily get out of hand don't let it" Because there is no limit to the level of detail, modifications and accessories I kept it simple and didn't worry too much.
grandnational9.jpg

I used the raw umber panpastel and it worked like a charm. All the exterior and wheels got a dirty look in 30 or so minutes.
grandnational15.jpg

The "turret" is made of warhammer 40k parts (the ring), a couple of .50 cal from an Academy MG kit (I figured they might look like .30 cal in 1/24 scale) and sheet styrene.
grandnational15.jpg

The chasis-exterior fit was horrible and I realized I'm not a good car builder after gluing those and seeing how tilted the model is. I guess I can say the cannon is way to heavy and affected the suspension ;D
grandnational10.jpg

I used AK's winter streaking grime for the underside and different rust products (the one that I like more was Modelmaster's rust color).
grandnational21.jpg

All in all I'm happy. I think it looks mean and taking into consideration it's my first car model and the first time I scratch-build complete parts I feel satisfied. Still I feel I need to be more careful and don't expect any awards on Saturday. I'm already thinking about building another PA vehicle, maybe next year, but this time more ambitious and fewer errors.
Later I will add a post with some word on what worked and what didn't.

Doh! I just realized I posted one pic twice.
Quaralane, noname, Grendels thank you very much.
I entered it into Saturday's contest but came home without an award :( I was a little disappointed but I guess I should have put more attention when I joined the chassis to the body.
Anyway, here are my 2 cents, advice wise:
What worked:
  • Xuron photoetch cutter made a breeze of cutting brass tube, mesh and foil
  • Using epoxy to join metal-plastic. CA was barely ok for the metal foil to metal work
  • The AK heavy chipping, streaking grimme and chipping color products
  • Panpastel raw umber for general dusty/dirty look
  • Drawing and having a general idea of the project
What didn't work:
  • Appliying duplicolor clear and leaving to dry overnigh before trying to chip the paint. The gloss coat will protect the paint and you can't chip it even if you used the AK products underneath. I had to repaint :-[
  • Lifecolor's rust. I keep hearing and reading how great this brand is but I can't get it to work for me
  • Trying to scracthbuild an ammo belt for the cannon. I ended up with several unsuccessful tries before I settled for the magazine thing.
  • Vallejo's sepia wash on the wheels. It has a satin finish that I didn't like.
  • Forgetting Monogram is not Tamiya and not having the major pieces to align properly before I started to paint

Wow...it's kinda like "What if Batman was a post apocalyptic hero".
Schnazzy Batmobile, from after the world.
;D

Latest posts

Back